help understanding test results

Jun 9, 2016
Seattle WA
Hi again, so as suggested in my last post, I ordered just the FAS/DPD portion of the test kit. The rest of my numbers of from HTH 6 way kit. It's been raining a lot lately so have had the pool covered and been adding about 1/2 gallon bleach daily while waiting for kit. I've been running the pump for about 4-8 hrs per day. I just uncovered the pool and did all the tests. Here are my current numbers.
FC 27
CC .5
PH7.8
TA 1000 + (i got to 100 drops then stopped because it remained yellow.
CH 0 (turned yellow with the 5 drops)
CYA 30+ (It got to the top of the tube when i could no longer see the dot).

I don't really know where to go from here because I'm not sure if I should have kept adding to the TA or if it is sky high and useless. Please advise. Thank you so much
Lori

If the CYA test went to the top of the tube before the dot was obscured, you are more likely at <20 CYA. If your FC test is accurate, that is way high for that CYA. I wouldn't add anything to the pool for at least a day.

How does the water look?

Sure, Add 5 drops alkalinity indicator, swirl, should turn green then add titrant drop at a time and count drops until it turns red. It turned yellow, but never red, I didn't want to waste solution so I stopped. I could do the test again, maybe I did something wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

OK, just did the test again, apparently , I did it wrong, this time the result was 150. :)

I just looked up the HTH kit on Walmart. Even though there's really no decent info in the description, I see there are only 2 vials in the kit that have green caps (usually an indication of the vials used for the TA)... I take it there is no Thiosulfate in that kit?

That is usually the first thing you want to add prior to a TA test to neutralize the chlorine. Being that your FC is quite high right now you probably were working with a funky green color after adding the indicator (the vial that turns the solution green).

When FC comes back to earth, try testing your TA again. I bet you will get a better contrast of the green to red change.

Also your pH reading may be off because of testing in a high chlorine sample. Not that there's anything wrong with a 7.8 pH. But you should test that again when chlorine lowers.

Thank you mikemass, I will do that. I plan to get the TF-100 kit as soon as my Husband calms down, I made a few unnecessary purchases when we first bought the pool, before I discovered this site so he is not so keen on me spending more at the time. It's easy for me to see that I will reach a dead end soon and really need the kit but need to wait a bit. I appreciate all the help, this has been an invaluable site for me.

I've had the pool uncovered for the past 2 days now and it's rained a bit here. I vacuumed the bottom and tested the water this morning. Here are the numbers.
FC 17.5
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 150
CH 0
CYA 40
Other than the hight FC I think it's doing well. I've run out of CYA reagent again but the good news is, I ordered the TF 100 kit along with extra CYA and the stir thingy. I'm excited for it to get here. Water looks crystal clear and the weather is supposed to be warm enough to swim today. YAY! Happy Father's day everyone and thank you all for the helpful advise. I'm addicted to this site.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.