In need of a lot of help

Pootn

Apr 30, 2016
Tucson AZ
My pool is green I'm pretty sure I had a algae bloom and I'm pretty sure I have black algae here are my readings

Temp 81
Fc 4.5
Cc 0.5
Ph 7.4
Ta 130
CYA >100

I'm assuming I need to drain probably half the pool to drop CYA then get the pool ph to SLAM levels...

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You are correct. Lowering that CYA is #1 right now. Being in Tucson, you might normally appreciate an elevated CYA like me, but for a SLAM perhaps not so much. But if you can get it down to at least 50 that would be a decent place to be. Once you get the CYA lowered, post some new results and we'll help you form there. Great to have you with us.

alright...i cannot actually convince myself to drain 50% of my water on top of the fact i dont have a sump pump how ever i did drop the pool 1/4 ish and then refilled and retested my cya is now about 90 (yes i know impractical but i can spend the extra money on chlorine vs water/elec and fines...) Btw im hitting monsoon season so hopefully that will drop my CYA over time. i am currently keeping my pool at an FC of 60 for mustard algae but i dont know if its mustard or not

This is what it looked like at about 1100 before drain and refill
ee60149fe5c3bf60fb7c74b958a005d3.jpg

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

That pool looks barely green compared to most of the swamps we see! What makes you feel you have mustard algae?

We do NOT advocate tossing in mass quantities of chlorine in the false hope that it will fix what ails you. More often than not it just causes the FC to disappear faster and its harsh on the pool and equipment.

Please review this: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

1st indicator was the color change in the plaster then when I started adding chlorine it would go cloudy the next day but never clear up then the green started to appear and as I swept their were visible clouds of yellow then turn to green that was when I was keeping the fc at about 3...I just recently got the k-2006 so I never knew my CYA now that I do I figured I would treat the algae

In Tucson, it shouldn't be copper unless you repeatedly added some pool store products in the past like algaecides. From the pic it just looks like regular algae really. By TFP standards, even if it was mustard algae, the treatment here is the same - regular SLAM/Shock FC level and pass the 3 SLAM criteria first. Only then do you increase FC to MA level and only for 24 hours. So I would let your FC fall to the appropriate SLAM level based on the Chlorine./CYA Chart. That way you don't waste bleach and $$. A successful SLAM really depends on consistency and doing everything on that SLAM page. Just takes some time. Your pool is not the worse we've seen, so hopefully you'll get through this in good time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stay with it! That looks just like regular-old algae from here. Just be sure to maintain the FC based on your CYA. No need to blast it right now. :) The only thing I would say is be absolutely sure of that CYA when testing outdoors to ensure you do in-fact have a the right FC SLAM level. Other than that, lots of patience I'm afraid. Having a nice pool like that, and with summer officially starting tomorrow, that's probably difficult to do. :(

It's not so much me that needs the patience it's the wife and kids...in checking the fc and cya about every hour to 1.5 fc is currently 39 which is where is needs to be according to chart but that means it dropped 30 fc in about 8 hour's

You are in a tough spot wit that high CYA, but I understand your reasons locally. CYA of 90 means an FC of 35. Hopefully you're last test was accurate so you will make the gains expected with a SLAM. That would be my only concern. Just in case ... if you don't see better gains in the next day or two, maybe consider a diluted CYA test as follows:

Add pool water to bottom of sticker.
Add tap water to top of sticker.
Shake.
Pour out half so mixture is to bottom of sticker.
Add reagent to top of sticker.
Shake.
Test outside with back to sun and tube at waist level.
Pour back and forth a few times to see if you get the same result.
Double the result.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.