May 30, 2015
Stamford, ct
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi there,

I'm new to the TFPC method but my water is already blue and all seems fine.

We've received our TF-100 package this week, and here are our results as of Wednesday, after kids were in the pool in the afternoon:
FC: 4
CC: 0.5
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 100
CYA: 30/40
Borates: not
Temp: 75 ?

When doing the CYA standard 50ppm test , we weren't really able to measure 50ppm, but were more at 30ppm... don't know why.

The water is very clear.

My issue is we're leaving next Sunday for 4 weeks, so I'm prepared to leave the pool with some tablets and the pump on automatic. Someone should come regularly to clean the skimmer. We'll also leave the solar cover on.
Given our current CYA level, is that a good plan? Any advice on the number of tablets / flow setting etc?

Also, the TA is low, so I'm going to address that this week-end or tonight.

Any other comments welcome.

Thank you!
Guillaume

4 weeks is a LONG time...

First of all, your TA is fine. Especially if you're not there to monitor pH. Lower the better as long as it's above 50 ppm.

Covering the pool helps.

If you're using trichlor tablets, it's difficult to do so in a covered pool. Tablets should go in a floater, NOT in the skimmer. They can damage your plumbing. Chlorine tablet feeder at the equipment station or floater only for tablets.

Use Pool Math to determine how much each tablet will add in FC and CYA. How much FC do you lose each day now? Work out that versus your tablets to get a starting point.

Otherwise... getting someone to test every other day with your color match block at a minimum and dose accordingly would be better.

Have fun on vacation! If you are like me, I want that black dot obliterated from the face of the earth when testing CYA. I find the 50 ppm using the R-7065 is more "obscure" than obliterated. Turbidity tests are slightly more subjective because there is not that precise endpoint when a color changes or goes clear. Remember that CYA level can be acceptable on a range.
I think your plan above sounds great. If you can get the person to check (maybe with the K-1000 kit) your CL-tell them to add some bleach if it gets low (which hopefully it will not with your precautions).

Thanks all!

I'll check with the person coming regularly if they can monitor and add chlorine. I didn't think of the issue of the floater under the cover, as I also think I'd rather have the cover.

So I'm confident with my CYA and TA, thanks for that.

Thanks for all the advice, cheers!

Guillaume

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.