Paver deck joint to coping (Deco seal or polymeric sand?)

Titan7

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Getting closer to finishing the deck, the big question, which to use between the pavers and coping? Is there a right or wrong way? The pavers will have polymeric sand with is pretty much like concrete when set.

What is on the other side of the paver deck opposite of the pool? Can it move? Or is it the house? If it can move a bit then it doesn't matter. If not, I would put foam backer and self leveling polyurethane caulk, like Sikaflex.

How quickly do add the sand? As you are going or at the end?

I am planning on useing the silkaflex, they are cutting the pavers about 1/4"-3/8" away from the coping. I have natural stone so it a bit wavey. The coping is 2 3/8" about the same as the pavers, i am planning on pushing foam backer rod in the gap and using the silkaflex. I know its self leveling but does it shrink? In other words, when you fill the joint to the top is going to remain the height and not shrink down into the joint?

I think i will put some oversized foam in the joint when they do the polymeric sand so none gets into this joint.

Ok, i will look into the decoseal also. Here are photos of the expansion joint. I did not use the foam that is used with concrete as i thought we were going to just add polymeric sand. I just plan to buy a rool of that 1/2" x 4 inch white foam and cut it down to 2" and stuff it into the joint, its 1/4" - 3/8" wide and 2 3/8" deep (the depth of the pavers),

Will look into the new premixed deco seal also.

091F50D2-79F4-43B6-A197-279E367359B4_zpsmwpups8d.jpg

B14AF49D-0643-4E68-A044-716252DEE38C_zpsmcvfgupu.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.