Stenner Pump Maintenance / Installation / Recomendations

Mar 15, 2016
Easley, SC
I have finally decided to go the stenner route instead of using the dosatron. The biggest reason for my decision is I found one on craigslist for $50. Its an 85MHP17 adjustable. I should have it in hand today but I have seen videos of it working so I am not too concerned about that. It was used to chlorinate drinking water that was being pumped from a lake.

My first question is, what should I do once I receive it to make sure it is in good working order? I have read about the index plate replacement and hose replacement. Anything else I should look at before I install it? What is the best hose to use in the pump and for the suction and return line? Anything I should oil/grease? Any advice from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

My second question is, I can mount the pump either outside or under my house. I have a 5 foot crawl space with access right beside my pool equipment. I was thinking route the hose thru the wall to under the house from the tank outside (or keep a tank under the house?) and then back thru the wall to the return line for the pool. Would this be better than leaving it outside? Does anyone see any reason not to do this?

If you can protect the pump and tank from the elements, and it's still easy to get at, then do that. Most people use the 1/4" chemical resistant black tubing. Will you be using a timer? You would need easy access to that as well. If it were me, I'd want everything positioned in a way so i can quickly eyeball everything for leaks or other problems.

I keep my brush, vacuum, nets, etc under the house and thats where I would put the stenner pump. I plan to bury the chlorine tank to keep it cool and out of the sun. I am still searching for a timer, looking at a dual timer by intermatic as I currently do not have a timer on the pool pump either. That would be mounted outside the house for easy access to turn things on and off without going under the house. I was just thinking the pump may last longer if kept under the house. I thought about placing the chlorine tank under the house but afraid of fumes getting into the house from the tank.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.