New Liner, New water, switching to TFPC-need a little help

ErinP

Jun 2, 2015
North Andover, MA
We were using Pristine Blue for 8 years and although it was super convenient after reading about it I don't want to use it anymore.

We are getting a new liner installed next week and will be filling it with town water. I have to order a test kit today, but haven't quite decided which one, but I'm leaning towards the k2006.

I'm assuming once the water is filled i should test and post results and go from there. Hopefully the kids will be able to swim right away although the water will be freezing!

Any suggestions on what I should pick up and have on hand to get started?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

When I order from tftestkits.net, things arrive within a couple of days, and I'm in Southern NH, close to you. Their web site says they have the test kits in stock.

The pool is filled and I tested it quickly last night with my tf-100. Here were the results:
FC-0
PH-7.5
TA-30
CC-0
CYA-0
Today I added 64oz Baking soda and 64oz. granular stabilizer in a sock(I didn't realize it was supposed to dissolve over a couple of days and kept squeezing it every 20 min. or so in front of the return!)

Just tested again as I want to add bleach. Here were my results:
FC-0
PH-6.8 not sure why this went down so much?
TA-30 Why didn't this change after adding Baking Soda 8 hours earlier?
CYA-20 (I know it's still a little early, but I wanted to use my speedstir)
CC-0
CH-25 We have very soft tap water-should I add Calcium?

Should I raise the PH and TA before I add the bleach? If so can I do that together?
Any help is much appreciated as I would like to get to bed;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank You! and yes, I have the Pool School handy sheet printed with notes:)

I just tested PH this morning and PH is up to 7.2
As for the chlorine test- I can't distinguish between the shades of yellow. They all look the same shade of yellow to me, but it did turn yellow. How do I know that I put the right amount of bleach in and if it's safe for the kids to swim today? I have LOTS of kids coming over today!
Nice work getting everything going!

Yes, the PH up is OK to use. Focus on getting PH up and more stable first, then move on to TA in a couple of days. It is fine to do lots of sock squeezing to dissolve the CYA quickly. No need to raise CH in a vinyl pool.

Do you have this handy sheet printed?
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Yes, that bleach is fine. Any store brand unscented bleach is fine as long as it has the percentage listed.

Use Poolmath to calculate dosage of chems to the correct level. The best way to test chlorine is the FAS/DPD, it measures up to 50 ppm and is a color change test not a color match test. I buy mine at TFTestkits.net.

It is safe to swim when
FC is above minimum and below shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
PH is 7.2 to 7.8
And the water is clear

After having my morning cup of coffee, I realized that I should do a FAS/DPD test (I have the TF100) to find out the exact FC. I'm sure I will get a hang of this. Here were my results
FC 4.5
CC .5
I know its ok to swim, but should I be concerned about CC?
The water is crystal clear and the sun will be shining on it all day.

Hey, that is a great idea! :) Nope, the CC will be fine. You are correct the sun will burn it right off.

What is your CYA? With a herd of rugrats swimming it is a good idea to take FC up a couple of PPM over target just to make absolutely sure that FC doesn't drop below minimum. When FC drops below minimum the risk of person to person disease/pathogen transmission increases, especially with kids. If they are swimming all day a mandatory potty break and FC test is a good idea also. If FC is back to target add a couple PPM back with some bleach.

Have fun! :paddle:

Had a change of plans yesterday and the kids are coming over today so no one swam yesterday. Here were my numbers from last night:
6.8 PH
FC 3
CC.5
TA 50
CYA 20-didn't test this again as I just added CYA 2 days ago and want to give it a few days to test again

According to the pool math I was supposed to add 70 oz washing soda to bring my PH up to 7.5 I only had 55oz box so I added it expecting my PH to go up .57 and my TA to go up 18 which is ok. I also added 3 cups 3 oz 10% bleach to get to a target of 4 FC.

Here were my numbers this morning-
PH 8.2 darkest red
FC 4.5
CC 0
TA 70
CYA-20 still didn't test again

Why did my PH go up so much? I expected to have to add more this morning? Did I use the wrong thing? It was Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. Sodium Carbonate.
When I added it it did cloud the water a little, but once it disolved the water was clear. Kept the filter running for a few hours, went to bed and when I woke up it was crystal clear.
Help! I have kids coming over in a few hours and need to lower the PH so they can swim!

It's either testing error or your pool is smaller than you think. Either way, take it as a learning experience, pH moves should be done in half steps, in the future aim for 7.2 and retest, same with acid. Shoot for 7.8 and retest after 20-30 minutes.

I tested twice before I added and twice this morning as I'm teaching my daughter how to test. And we just got our liner changed and we figured out gallons based on those measurements. No rain, no swimmers. Good thing I didn't add the whole amount it called for. Definetly a learning experience! Hopefully I can get it down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.