MUSKOGEE, Ok
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Filling pool this weekend for first time. What do I want CYA and Chlorine to be? I live in Oklahoma. Its been 114 with heat index for the last week..uggh
Pool will be in full sun. Also how soon can we swim after adding CYA?

16x48 intex ultra with intex 1500 gph pump

You'll want to keep cya between 30-50. Keep the chlorine around 5 ppm.
This little handy dandy calculator is a big help. http://poolcalculator.com/index-classic.html Just set the parameters at the very bottom to suggested goals to TFP and source of chlorine to bleach and pool surface to vinyl.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW you can swim immediately after adding the stabilizer. If you're adding it via a sock overhanging the side of the pool than periodically squeeze it to help disperse it and help it dissolve. Just keep in mind that it will take several days for it to come up to the proper reading. So you'll want to monitor your chlorine level more closely if you have a heavy swim load and because it will be baking in the full sun.

40 is a good target for CYA in a non SWG pool. Anywhere in the 30-50 range should work fine for you. Typically it's recommended to CYA in a tube sock, tie it off and hang it in front of the pump return. Give it a squeeze now and then, it could take 2-3 days for it all to dissolve.

There is a chart in pool school that shows the proper CYA to Chlorine levels. It's considered safe to swim up to the shock level. At 40 CYA you'll find 3 is the minimum for chlorine, 5 is the target, and 16 is shock level. These happen to be the values I use in my pool coincedentially. Don't be scared to keep it solidily in the 5-10 yellow range on your drop tester kit. I'm currently adding about 2-3 ppm chlorine daily. And we've been in the high 90's for a good week. You'll get a feel for it as you monitor it daily. Just keep that chlorine up in the right range and you won't have a problem.

It's OK. If you're an experienced member from years past, that was the go to link. It's no longer maintained, unlike the one that is maintained here at TFP. It may still be correct, but I know for sure that the Pool Math here is up to date and reviewed. Link is also at the top of the page with the rest of the "tab" links.

It's OK. If you're an experienced member from years past, that was the go to link. It's no longer maintained, unlike the one that is maintained here at TFP. It may still be correct, but I know for sure that the Pool Math here is up to date and reviewed. Link is also at the top of the page with the rest of the "tab" links.

Yea I admit that I've been using the old one this year. I just went and closed that tab and opened a new tab with the correct calculator. My apologies for giving out potentially outdated tools.

So we can swim while sock hangs over side or no? What do i put in first cya or bleach or both at same time?

16x48 intex ultra with intex sand filter 2800

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So i think hubby and i are getting Divorced. He wants to put pool up in 112 degrees. I want to wait til later in day but we went ahead and started his way. Now we are hot cranky not done and want to kill each other. Ahhhhh

How long do i wait to test chlorine after adding bleach and i probably wait til cya is fully dissolved right to test cya?

Thanks right now I'm working with hth 6 way test right now. Until i can order a different one. Chlorine was 5 about an hour after adding ph a bit low should i wait a bit and retest ph? I normally don't ever have an issue with ph. And have never had to add anything. Last year was a disaster using chlorine tabs and i didn't know what cya is so *fingers crossed* hopefully i don't end up with green pool again this year. Should i test alkalinity and hardness?

Don't need to test hardness, its irrelevant to your setup. Yes go ahead and test the alkalinity since you have the test and you say you need to make a ph adjustment. Enter the alkalinity number into the calculator so it gives you accurate info for your ph adjustment. The alkalinity number itself probably isn't something you need to be concerned with, you just need to know it to accurately adjust your ph. The TA number will change slowly over time as you maintain your PH.

Ok TA was 70 and I tested hardness before i read this. 120
Since im not testing FC right now what is a good base of how much chlorine to add a day? Should i figure 2ppm loss a day or more. Its 100 degrees full sun 114 with heat index

You'll need to be testing your chlorine everyday. The drop tester is fine. I assume youre setting the CYA to 40? If so, I recommend getting it solidly in the 5-10 yellow every evening at adding time, and I prefer mine never be below the 3-6 yellow when I check it. I figure it'll be 2-3 ppm a day, depends on the load as well as the sun. You could check it more than once a day while your getting a feel for it. Ideally you add chlorine/bleach once a day in the evening that's enough so when you check it the next day its at/above your minimum.

There's kids that occasionally come over to our house and swim in a group, pretty big load on our little pool. I've told the wife on those days just go ahead and preemptively add 12oz of bleach; I've seen what that load can do to the chlorine when I check it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.