A newbie who has done too much reading...high FC, high CC, high TC and low CYA..help!

Jun 17, 2016
Milbank SD
I have above ground 5000 galloon pool. My pool store recommends shocking the pool. Should I do that even with the high chlorine levels? I am trying to lower the pH (It is at 7.0) and CYA is at 1 ppm
FC is 13.0 ppm
TC is at 14.1 ppm
CC is 1.1 ppm
Alkalinity is at 165 ppm

If I lower the alkalinity will that lower my chlorine level at all? Why would they tell me to shock the pool with that level?

From what I understand anything above 10 FC is iffy to swim in, right?:confused:

I have above ground 5000 galloon pool. My pool store recommends shocking the pool. Should I do that even with the high chlorine levels? I am trying to lower the pH (It is at 7.0) and CYA is at 1 ppm
FC is 13.0 ppm
TC is at 14.1 ppm
CC is 1.1 ppm
Alkalinity is at 165 ppm

If I lower the alkalinity will that lower my chlorine level at all? Why would they tell me to shock the pool with that level? Plus, anytime chlorine is above 10 the pH test is inaccurate.

From what I understand anything above 10 FC is iffy to swim in, right?:confused:
Why would be trying to lower pH? It's already too low.

TA does not affect chlorine levels.

We have no idea why some pool stores make the recommendations they do. That is why we tell folks not to go to pool stores.

When the pool stores don't know or don't tell you is that chlorine levels should be based as a percentage of the stabilizer in your pool. 10 could be high, low or just right depending on what the CYA level is. The pool industry refuses to recognize the connection between CYA/Stabilizer and the ability of chlorine to do it's thing sanitizing the water. others here can give you the scientific details if you want, but lets just say CYA locks the ability of chlorine to sanitize. The more CYA you have the more chlorine you need to keep in the pool to keep algae at bay. I took over my pool with a CYA of about 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says). With a CYA of 250 I had to keep my chlorine level at around 20 just to keep algae away.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

You need your own test kit to take control of your pool and stop going to the pool store. Order a TF100.

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

FC is 13.0 ppm
TC is at 14.1 ppm
CC is 1.1 ppm
Alkalinity is at 165 ppm

If I lower the alkalinity will that lower my chlorine level at all? Why would they tell me to shock the pool with that level?

You've been pool stored.

Your PH should be RAised, not lowered. 7.2 - 7.8 is widely considered an okay range. You need to get a proper test kit and do your own testing. Either the Taylor K2006 or the TF100 from TFTestkits.net

Until you have a full set of accurate numbers, you really cant do anything, except maybe add a quart of bleach a day.

If that is cyuranic acid my level is only 1 ppm so I would say I would definitely need a lower CC FC and TC level and not add shock, correct?

- - - Updated - - -

I have 3 different sources of tests and they are all pretty much in agreement on the very high chlorine levels and pH of 6.8-7 range. I am worried about swimming in pool with chlorine level that high, especially if my CYA is so low. My next problem is the iron/rust and filtering for 2 weeks (my filters are red/orange after 3 hours) but I guess one problem at a time. Thanks for replies

If that is cyuranic acid my level is only 1 ppm so I would say I would definitely need a lower CC FC and TC level and not add shock, correct?

I have 3 different sources of tests and they are all pretty much in agreement on the very high chlorine levels and pH of 6.8-7 range. I am worried about swimming in pool with chlorine level that high, especially if my CYA is so low. My next problem is the iron/rust and filtering for 2 weeks (my filters are red/orange after 3 hours) but I guess one problem at a time. Thanks for replies
No CYA test can accurately test below 20 - 30 so the number you have is bogus. If the CYA is truly that low your chlorine would burn off in several hours if the pool gets a decent amount of sun

You need your own test kit.

Unfortunately you can't be sure of any of the test results. Pool store testing is notoriously bad, ESPECIALLY the CYA.

I will third the "You need a good test kit!" suggestion. :)

The problem here is that without you doing your own testing with an approved test kit (Tim suggests one of them above), we don't really know what your readings are. It's very hard to help when we don't know what the real problems are. :)

Okay. Thank you. I am in a remote area and my pool store is my hardware store and they test my water there electronically. I agree they very limited to NO knowledge on pool chemistry but I was hoping the electronic test would help me at least. I will have to mail order a test kit...more waiting I guess. Thanks again.

I think that it comes down to the fact that just with your limited knowledge you figured out they were giving bad advice.

For now you want to get the water moving in the pool. Aeration, meaning splashing water raises pH and yo need yours up a little. If you have a waterfall, fountain or anything else that stirs up the water, get them going. We prefer raising pH naturally rather than chemically which can also raise your TA more.

Take the time while the test kit is in route to read the linked articles and ask question here.

How does the water look? Clear, cloudy, sparkling, a green swamp?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.