Threaded PVC Connection Leaking

cubbienate

Gold Supporter
May 3, 2016
Hampshire, IL
Hello,

I just finished running PVC to my filter / pump on my AGP install. I used T plus 2 on the threads before connecting but it still seems to have a slight leak. Is there another way I should be sealing the threads for this connection? All of my glued connections and unions are leak free (after I had to fix two). Thank you in advance for your help!

The joint looks pretty good. Is there a chance you over tightened it? It can crack but it can also just be plain too tight and the threads bottom out and screw up the joint.

I would remake that joint. Clean it well, screw it in. turn it about 1/2 more than hand tight and then turn on the pump. If it is not leaking, leave it alone. If it leaks, tighten it ever so slowly until it stops.

The joint looks pretty good. Is there a chance you over tightened it? It can crack but it can also just be plain too tight and the threads bottom out and screw up the joint.

I would remake that joint. Clean it well, screw it in. turn it about 1/2 more than hand tight and then turn on the pump. If it is not leaking, leave it alone. If it leaks, tighten it ever so slowly until it stops.

Thanks Dave! I will give it another shot tonight. I am getting good at gluing the PVC...

Before you cut it up, loosen the union and screw the whole piece out. Using Teflon tape only, wrap all but the bottom 2 threads twice and then re-tighten per Dave's comments. Also, while removing the piece be mindful of the angle of the 90 (where it is pointing; 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.) when the threads disengage the mutliport valve. To do this gently pull the piece out while unscrewing - you will feel it "let go" when the threads disengage. Place the piece in the same orientation when re-threading it. Hopefully this will land your union in the same place.

Hayward recommends teflon tape only and notes paste may allow over tightening and could crack their fittings.

- - - Updated - - -

Danpik - he used T plus 2 (had to google it myself). RectorSeal® T Plus 2® - RectorSeal

What type of thread sealant dd you use?

This is what I used on the threads.

- - - Updated - - -

Before you cut it up, loosen the union and screw the whole piece out. Using Teflon tape only, wrap all but the bottom 2 threads twice and then re-tighten per Dave's comments. Also, while removing the piece be mindful of the angle of the 90 (where it is pointing; 9 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc.) when the threads disengage the mutliport valve. To do this gently pull the piece out while unscrewing - you will feel it "let go" when the threads disengage. Place the piece in the same orientation when re-threading it. Hopefully this will land your union in the same place.

Hayward recommends teflon tape only and notes paste may allow over tightening and could crack their fittings.

- - - Updated - - -

Danpik - he used T plus 2 (had to google it myself). RectorSeal® T Plus 2® - RectorSeal

PT, you think I should just use the tape? This paste made it very easy to put the fitting in. Hopefully I didn't crack anything :thumbdown:

This excerpt was taken from Hayward's Super Pump manual (https://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/man...uperPump.pdf):

Plumbing
Use Teflon tape to seal threaded connections on molded plastic components. All plastic fittings must be new or thoroughly cleaned before use. NOTE - Do NOT use Plumber’s Pipe Dope as it may cause cracking of the plastic components. When applying Teflon tape to plastic threads, wrap the entire threaded portion of the male fitting with one to two layers of tape. Wind the tape clockwise as you face the open end of the fitting, beginning at the end of the fitting. The pump suction and outlet ports have molded-in thread stops. Do NOT attempt to force hose connector fitting past this stop. It is only necessary to tighten fittings enough to prevent leakage. Tighten fitting by hand and then use a tool to engage fitting an additional 1 ½ turns. Use care when using Teflon tape as friction is reduced considerably; do NOT over-tighten fitting or you may cause damage. If leaks occur, remove connector, clean off old Teflon tape, re-wrap with one to two additional layers of Teflon tape, and re-install connector.

I have had trouble in the past using cheap pipe sealer tape. Some of that stuff is only about 2.5 mills thick so you need more that a couple of turns to get a good seal. I now use some tape that I found at Lowes marked premium heavy duty for water pipes and have had good luck with it. It is gray colored and is 6.5 mills thick. Just a heads up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.