Blue but cloudy water

May 30, 2013
Omaha/NE
Having trouble figuring out what is happening. Opened pool late this year due to broken pump and waited for part. Been shocking the snot out of it for a week and water is still cloudy. Started the SLAM technique the other day but not seeing any results yet.

26ft Round Above-ground
12000 Gal
SWG

FC- 10+
CC -
Ph- 7.2
TA- 90
TH- 150
CYA - 30
Salt- 3400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome!
First of all what test kit are you using? If you could add that to your signature (thanks for filling out your pool info!) that would be awesome.

Also, if you could put your location in that would be great too.

Great!

Some SLAMS take 2-3 weeks. If you started "the other day" you might just need some time.

How often are you testing and adding FC? Brushing at least once a day? CC would be a good number to track.

Tested FC this am but it seemed to be so high so I didn't do a complete FC/CC test (didn't want to use all my test chemicals) hopefully it will drop a bit during the day that I could track CC tonight

No problem.

You may want to read the SLAM article again Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Here are some highlights:
You want to bring FC to the SLAM level for your CYA, which is 12 (not 10+ :) )
You want to test more than twice a day and less than once an hour.
CC that's just 5 drops of 003 (? memory) and a few drops of 871?

For your SLAM you should be targeting 12FC. You should be testing and using Pool Math to calculate additions of chlorine. Don't add so much that you end up with chlorine levels that "seemed to be so high so I didn't do a complete FC/CC test". We call this nuclear additions of chlorine. "Nuking" the pool with large amounts of chlorine ends up wasting much of the chlorine as it burns off in the sun quicker and can damage pool parts, especially vinyl pool liners.

Try to stick with calculated doses of chlorine.

This chart is the foundation. I recommend often that people print it out and leave it where they test. I have it taped to the inside cabinet door. It's very important to understand and use Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Please let us know if the chart doesn't make sense

You should turn your SWG off for the duration of the SLAM also.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
UPDATE -
Got home and tested

FC- 4
CC- 1
PH- 7.0
TA- 100
CH- 175
CA- 30
NACL- 3400

12000 Gal round
SWG- Off
Omaha NE

Still cloudy and In the process of SLAMing, should I add more liquid chlorine tonight?

837401bd1c04ca82c9ab98d82c636655.jpg

a6dd588967dbbb7d8bc6d4c16924ba9a.jpg

Here is an example of what the water color and cloudiness looks like

ANOTHER UPDATE on my SLAM - Thanks for any advice or encouragement

FC - 10
CC - 1
PH - 7.2
TA - 100
CH - 150
CYA - 40
NACL - 3400

FC was up but my CYA was up from last time probably because I had recently dropped this in the skimmer the other day. So according to POOL SCHOOL i needed to up FC to 16ppm so I did that with LC before coming in for the evening. Still cloudy (i know this wont change instantly) will check results in the AM and update here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.