Converting to Chlorine from Baqua

Jun 16, 2016
Bath, MI
I am trying to convert from Baqua and having trouble! I purchased a product called Exchange to convert and followed directions on the bottle. I have a 24 ft round and 4 ft deep Doughboy pool. Our DE filter seems to gain pressure quickly. We have had to take it apart 3 times already and throughly clean it. It actually was just 36 hrs this time before the pressure went up! That was great as it had been maybe 12 the other times. Just backwashed now so will see how it goes. My water looks like Mountain Dew! My test sticks show no chlorine! I have added a gallon at a time about every other day for a week. Should I keep adding more chlorine? I also have added stabilizer in the amount my pool guys told me too. Getting frustrated with this process and kids are dying to swim. Any ideas?

Welcome...Follow the steps in the post that @needsajet linked.

First things first though, get yourself a recommended test kit (linked in my signature). Your success and ease of conversion are more or less predicated on that.

(Once your pH is adjusted to 7.2) You should only have to add liquid chlorine to your water and lots of it. You're getting frustrated because you are not adding enough Chlorine fast enough. However without a kit, you won't know how much each dose should be. Stop using test strips. They are less than accurate at best and don't add anymore stabilizer. The more you add, the higher level of FC you'll have to maintain. Essentially, you'll be doing a medium to large scale SLAM.

One more thing. I don't have any experience with a DE filter and limited knowledge, but if you can circulate the water while bypassing the filter (at least initially), you won't have to clean and re-clean the filter as often.

I have no financial interest in TF Test Kits, and the K2006C is another good option. TF is an active advocate of TFP. If you're thinking of becoming a TFP supporter, you can make a modest tax deductible donation to TFP and get a discount at TF Test Kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chris, Where can I get the test kit? I can't seem to finds your signature so can't see the test kit you posted. I would order one today if I knew what to get. Would it be on Amazon? Thanks so much for your help!
The link for a TF-100 is in my signature, but here's another link. It runs about $70, but once you complete the conversion, the TFP method will save you $$thousands in the seasons to come.

I go through a case of 12.5% concentrated liquid chlorine in just over a week ($11.96/case) and unless I am vacuuming, I spend less than 5 min/day on pool maintenance. Compare that to Baquacil Sanitizer (close to $40 for 1/2 gallon, even if it's an off-brand), Oxidizer ($30/case), Algaecide ($20/qt.) and test strips ($10-$15) that don't work, and the $70 for the TF-100 pays for itself inside of a month.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.