What do you think?

Grated

Jun 10, 2016
Atlanta/GA
I have been doing the trouble free method for about a week now but have owned my pool for 13-14 years.
These are my most recent numbers.
FC- 5
CC- 0
PH- 7.6-7.7
CYA- 50-60
TA- 100

Do these all seem OK? And after a week my average chlorine loss is 3ppm a day.
Temps have been in the 90s everyday and my pool gets full sun 90% of the day.20160616_141100.jpg

Already studied it, its closer to 50 so I was going with 4-8. But 5 minutes after I tested it I raised it to 8ppm. But is that an acceptable loss for one day? 3...I guess because the high temps and direct sun all day. Thanks for the feedback. Should I worry much about the PH being at the higher of the limit? Will it creep higher?

If you're not sure about your daily loss being "normal", you can always perform the OCLT to reassure yourself. Keep an eye on the PH, but since you don't have a water feature or an SWG, it might not go up much.

7.6-7.7 is fine. Once it hits 7.8 I'd bump it down to 7.5. The TA/pH relationship is usually pool specific and takes some time to get dialed in.

It's unlikely that a lower TA will lower your pH "automatically". As you bump pH down your TA will lower. You might find a happy spot, my pool seems to really like pH - 7.6-7.7 and TA of 60. It took me 3 years to figure that out.

TA is worried about more than it should be. It's fine tuning, and should only be worried about if pH raises drastically or swings around like crazy.

Ok. I guess I will just leave it then and monitor it. I guess a few weeks after seeing how much loss there is a day yall don't check clorine but weekly? Since the oto kit only reads to 5ppm and I need to check a range of 4-8. Or do you guys use the FAS/DPD daily?

- - - Updated - - -

Felt awesome to take my tf-100 kit top a buddies pool last night and check it for him. His cya was 100...once I told him the range his FC should be he said no way that can't be right, I don't think I am going to do it that high. I said ok...you will continue to fight algae. So we will see what happens. Maybe he will listen.

Weekly is too long to wait between testing. I test about every other day, some people stretch it to 3 but that is with some history and "learning" their pool's appetite. And I do the FAS-DPD every time, since 3 and 5 is a big difference with my CYA and I can't tell the difference in 3 and 5 yellow.

IMO that OTO test is a "Is there SOME FC the pool?" sanity check.

e: I added pool care to politics and religion as things to not talk about in public.

Weekly is too long to wait between testing. I test about every other day, some people stretch it to 3 but that is with some history and "learning" their pool's appetite. And I do the FAS-DPD every time, since 3 and 5 is a big difference with my CYA and I can't tell the difference in 3 and 5 yellow.

IMO that OTO test is a "Is there SOME FC the pool?" sanity check.

e: I added pool care to politics and religion as things to not talk about in public.

It really depends on the pool (and the pool owner i suppose :mrgreen:). My pool tends to be very stable and other than lowering PH once or maybe twice over the entire season i know that all i need to do to maintain my chemistry is half a gallon of 10% every day. I used to test every day but am down to once a week now and have no issues whatsoever.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.