filter pressure has risen

Sep 17, 2015
San Antonio TX
Hello, TFP users. I have a Pentair Quad DE 80 filter. I love it. I open it up and wash the grids with the garden hose 4 times per year. My pressure has always stayed around 10 PSI (when it reaches 20 you are supposed to clean the filter). 2 days ago, I decided to do a SLAM due to a little persistent green algae. So, before starting the SLAM I noticed my pressure was at 30 PSI! I brushed my pool, vacuumed it, then I opened up the filter and sprayed everything clean. I also opened my pumps and cleaned those, as well as soaking my Polaris bag in a solution of bleach and water. Put everything back together, added DE and my pressure is still reading 25 PSI. Any ideas? We do have very hard water coming out of the tap (300), but we have had a lot of rain this past spring (free water!). Plus, my pool is surrounded by limestone rock which I'm sure leaches calcium into my pool as the water spills over this rock. My calcium sits at 600 and I can't drain right now. I'm wondering if I need to open the filter again, and soak my cartridges in a solution of MA and water. Thanks for the help!

Algae clogs filters quickly, it might need a little more cleaning. Be careful with muriatic acid and filter cartridges, it can ruin them. I don't use it.

More here, Re: How to clean a cartridge filter

Thank you for your reply. I guess I'll just open it up and rinse with the hose one more time. It may be time for new cartridges. They are almost 6 years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do buy new cartridges I highly recommend Pleatco filters. I am very pleased with how much better my Pleatcos work vs the original Pentair filters.

Well, unless I have missed something I think you need to take a look at your water chemistry. Algae forms, dies and clogs a perfectly good filter quite easily.

My bet is if you post a set of test numbers, you will find a need to SLAM your pool.

Filters filter. When they filter, they get clogged with debris.........remove the debris and they allow the water to flow more freely until debris clogs them again.

Your symptoms mirror the above.......I think you need chlorine, not a new cartridge

Yeah, I would recommend a full breakdown where you take out all 4 filters and really clean out all the nooks and crannies. Also make sure to clean out the gauge inlet and make sure it's not clogged. New filters aren't cheap so I would definitely troubleshoot everything before dropping the cash.

duraleigh:
I had already started the SLAM when I originally posted my question. My pool is now crystal clear and no more algae. Before the SLAM, I brushed and vacuumed the pool; then my husband opened up the filter and rinsed the cartridges with the hose and the inside of the tank. He did not check for debris in the gauge inlet. We are still seeing a pressure of 25 psi. We plan to open up the filter this weekend and look inside the gauge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.