Ants near skimmer - dropping sand into skimmer

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
We've always had ants around our concrete pool deck but this year they have gotten right next to one of the skimmers. They are dumping a lot of dirt / sand into the skimmer as there is a small gap where they can come through. Any ideas on how to get rid of them without putting poison into my pool water? Anything natural that can go into pool water that will drive them away?

I had the same problem for the first time this year. I sprayed Home Defense inside the skimmer, along the deck and coping joint and around the edge of the pool deck adjacent to the skimmer lid. That was a few weeks ago and they are still gone even after lots of rain.

For a truly poison free solution, if you know where the nest is- pour boiling water on it.

We've done that many times but they end up popping back up in other areas of the yard. It would be very effective if they just needed to be removed from near the skimmer though. Maybe doing that and setting some homemade boric acid traps would eliminate them permanently - for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had good luck with Advion ant gel. It's a bait that they love. They take the bait back to the colony and kill more of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.