pump motor issue!! please need help

hello everyone, I've been a long time looker on the site for little issues that I've had with the pool and also learning from you all. ok, here's my issue. I have a 2 speed flotec pump 230v and Monday the pump got loud while on high speed. The pump goto turned off untill I got home to look at it. so I get home flip the switch on the timer to on and the motor turned but was loud and shut off after about 3 seconds. I then opened the back and noticed my start capacitor had a Crack about 3/8" long. I tried to turn it on again (high) and noticed it was spinning backwards. after a few seconds it shut off by itself. I then turned it to low speed and it spun in the right direction. I checked my power and was getting 240vac. so I reached the start capacitor and still the same symptom. the motor is not froze up and still spins freely. please if you have any information about what I could troubleshoot next, it would be great. oh, by the wayear, I've cleaned and Removed and reinstalled this thing 5 different times in the last 4 days. I'm on witts end. thanks everyone

yes, sorry about that. I've been pulling my hair out and can't understand how a single phase motor can properly operate in low speed but spins the opposite on high. even when it's operating in low and then flip the switch to high it automatically reverses the spin direction. could a switch assembly be an issue.

If it is a brush type motor, you can reverse direction by swapping the leads to the brushes. If it is an induction type motor, swapping the Start winding leads will do this or swapping the run winding leads but, not both. If it a two speed motor such as this one the run winding leads have two different areas to swap.

Sounds like something went wrong inside the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.