SWG. Little help with the basics please.

tenndoc

Silver Supporter
Jun 30, 2013
Tullahoma, TN
We've got an inground pool with a little over 44,000 gals. Wanting to make the switch to a salt system but need to understand this better.
Hayward's largest SWG is listed as a 40,000 gal cap. Pentair has a 60,000 gal SWG. I like the extra capacity and it's the only unit I've seen that's larger than my needs. Is it really my only option or am I missing something?
Does anyone have any history with using the controller's and actuator valves to control solar panels? Is there any evidence that it's better to have separate controller's for each?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.
tenndoc

Circupool makes a larger SWG also, 60k I think.

Solar controllers are great. Mandatory in my opinion for efficient solar heating. The IC60 doesn't need a controller, it has a built in control panel.

Pentair, CircuPool, and Auto Pilot all make SWG's for your pool size.

Solar controllers are the only way to go in my opinion. You made the investment for the heat gain, you should spend just a little bit more to automate it to get the most out of it.

Thanks.
Does anyone have a particular favorite?
I've been looking at the Pentair IC60 with controller so I can automate my solar panels. Just going back and forth between bundling everything on one controller or separating them. (Controller's) Pros and cons with each. Which is why I turned to the forum. Opinions abound usually.
As always, thanks to everyone for their time.

I am starting season 5 with my Pentair IC40 and it has worked great. I will buy another one when this one fails. I've had my Pentair Solartouch installed for 3 years now and it made a big difference in my heat gain because it closes the solar valve when it rains or gets cloudy or windy. So it gives more heat gain and less heat loss.

Hayward makes SWG that can be run in parallel to give you tremendous capacity.

You want extra capaticy for your SWG. Most here would say the Pentair IC 60 is the correct size for your pool. SWG and filters should be oversized for a pool.

Thanks.
Does anyone have a particular favorite?
I've been looking at the Pentair IC60 with controller so I can automate my solar panels. Just going back and forth between bundling everything on one controller or separating them. (Controller's) Pros and cons with each. Which is why I turned to the forum. Opinions abound usually.
As always, thanks to everyone for their time.
One controller to operate everything is ideal and Pentair is an excellent choice.

I agree, I love circupool for SWG but if you are automating sticking with pentair is a GREAT choice, it will all work together and have the least amount of headache later on :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.