12 x 25 too small?

Not too small but obviously not huge either. Just make sure the kids know it's not a diving pool and to be careful about running and jumping.... but that is big enough to have some fun playing games and relaxing.

In your situation, with the older boys and then the younger girl, I would do a small tanning ledge (sometimes called a Baja shelf) which is usually about 8 inches deep up to 16 inches deep. Give the smaller child somewhere to start out and play. Sometimes adults like to put their feet in, but I dont think you would want one big enough to put a lounge chair on. Then go into your steps and do a 4 foot depth going into 5 or 6 feet in the middle and back to 4 at the other end. This will give you somewhere in the middle for the boys to do some minor jumping/diving and then on the 4 feet ends they should soon enough be able to touch the bottom with their feet and the adults can stand on each end and play a game of volleyball or whatever with water up to their chest area.

Is this a new build or is it an existing pool at a home you're looking at buying?

OP had previously started this thread asking about building a new inground pool in his backyard but was concerned because he has 3 kids (safety). I think now the concern is that he has limited space so he's (or she's) wondering about whether or not this is a sufficient size.

Sorry about that, yes in-ground 6ft on the deep end
rectangular
Okay, so now we know that.

If the alternative is no pool at all, it's plenty big.

My pool is roughly 12 by 32 and about 1/3 of it is 8 feet deep. That part is great for jumping into, but nobody lingers there because treading water is no fun. It will be a constant battle to keep the kids from diving into that pool despite being only 6' deep, but you'd have the same battle if it were only 4' deep.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so now we know that.

If the alternative is no pool at all, it's plenty big.

My pool is roughly 12 by 32 and about 1/3 of it is 8 feet deep. That part is great for jumping into, but nobody lingers there because treading water is no fun. It will be a constant battle to keep the kids from diving into that pool despite being only 6' deep, but you'd have the same battle if it were only 4' deep.
Thank you for that insight

It is more fun to swim in a small pool than it is to sit inside playing video games. If that is what fits in your yard, then take it and run with it. Smaller pools are easier to heat/cool, and in your area, might get year-round use out of it. Our pool is not huge, but works for us. We are also members of our community pool that has swimming lanes, diving board, slide, and a zillion kids running around. So we can kinda do whatever we feel like.

We are waiting for the HOA to give us approval for a 12' x 26' fiberglass pool. I was/am worried it might be too small but it will just be used for hanging out in. I have seen some pictures where the pool looks big and some where it looks small.

My thoughts exactly, I am getting the liberty flagship 12x25, some pics looks good some pics looks small
Very cool! Glad you decided to pull the trigger. That pool looks PERFECT for you guys... the little one can stay in the step area or play on the ledge on the far side.. and you, spouse, and older kids can have a moderately sized area for play/relaxing in the middle and a nice deeper area at the end where the kids could get away with some minor jumping/horseplay...

Thank you actually they are supposed to get back to me how much more it would be to step up to same make but different model for a 14x30
if its not too crazy I think it futureproofs me just a little longer in terms of size

Very cool! Glad you decided to pull the trigger. That pool looks PERFECT for you guys... the little one can stay in the step area or play on the ledge on the far side.. and you, spouse, and older kids can have a moderately sized area for play/relaxing in the middle and a nice deeper area at the end where the kids could get away with some minor jumping/horseplay...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.