12" water depth tanning ledge

essnce629

May 26, 2016
Sherman Oaks
We just started our build last week (excavation) and our builder was still giving us trouble with the 12" water depth tanning ledge that I want. He was saying normal depth for a tanning ledge is 6" water depth (1st step) or 18" water depth (2nd step). 6" is way to shallow for me and 18" is too deep. I want the water waist high when sitting. He says the step down from the coping into a 12" water depth ledge is too much. I said I'm fine with adding a small step (I guess 6" high) into the ledge in both corners. I never considered it without the additional step in. He said the step will barely be covered with water which I'm fine with and doesn't seem like a problem. Also, this step will not be the same height as the other steps into the pool. Is that an issue?

Does anyone else have a 12" water depth tanning ledge and if so, do you have an additional step into it and how big is the step? Are you happy with the water depth on the ledge?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

slpybeartx

Mar 7, 2017
North Texas
We have a 12" Water depth tanning ledge. We have no additional step into. We are VERY happy with the water depth on the ledge. The ledge is on the right side of the pool in the picture. Two bubblers, with an umbrella hole in middle.

We don't like 6" ledge water because it is dirty in the pools we have visited. We loved the 12" ledges in pools we visited, so that's what we went with.

Here is a picture right after filling while we were still in clean up phase...

If you are insisting on a 12" tanning ledge just put the steps in the corner like the builder suggested. I have a 9" tanning ledge with no steps and It is quite a step. Not bad for me but older people and young kids sometimes have a little trouble.

Also, I think it depends if it is your only entrance into the pool. Above they have a separate entrance. I enter our pool via the tanning ledge.

gwegan

TFP Expert
Apr 19, 2013
Sacramento, CA
You are going to want that additional step. A step six inches below water works out like this: Your coping or deck is two inches (maybe 3) (ok it could be less). Then three inches of tile to the water line. Then six inches of water to the step. That makes the first step 11 inches from the deck.

Esloser

Jun 23, 2016
Millville, NJ
Ours is also 12" and we didn't have a problem. I actually asked the builder to put a step in one of the corners and he either forgot or ignored me. However, we haven't had any issues with the 12" water depth. I'm trying to find a representative picture, but these are the best I have.

tanning ledge.jpg

gwegan

TFP Expert
Apr 19, 2013
Sacramento, CA
The picture above in Esloser's post does a good job of illustrating the issue.

The pool entry steps on the left are set so that there is not a large step to the first step. His Tanning Ledge on the right has no step -- its a foot or more (looks like more to me). That may be fine for some folks but for older folks with bad backs or knees it could be problematic.

Its your pool you get to decide.

ShantellyLace

Jan 20, 2017
St Augustine, FL
Our ledge is 10 inches of actual water then 3 inches of tile then a little more than 2 inches of coping so that makes it a little more than a 15" step. I tested it out and stepping up and down, it was just too much esp with my back. So we had a small step added and it is perfect. I didn't measure the step but it is about 4-6" tall.

hotrodbones

Sep 6, 2016
Fleming Island,Fl
Mine is just under 12.5" at the water line and we love the depth. My 20month old loves to run round on the shelf and can still sit with her head above water. I love the depth to sit and lounge while leaning against the coping. When our Adirondack chairs are on the shelf we are sitting in about 2" of water. This depth also allows plenty of room for wall jets to help clear off the shelf.

essnce629

May 26, 2016
Sherman Oaks
Re: 12" water depth tanning ledge

Thanks everyone! We'll definitely be keeping the water depth 12" on the shelf and will have steps in both corners.

And yes, it will be the only entrance into the pool.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk