Roger's Pool Build

TheOne

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
Houston, TX
My IG pool build started on 3/1/2007. Here are some specs and pictures.

The pool build pictures are located at http://stroudsonline.spaces.live.com

SPECS:

95 Perimeter - Approx 467 sq ft Surface Area
14k Gallons (need to remeasure as I made it bigger than the original 85' at layout)
3.5' to 5' to 4' Pool depth

SPA
8ft Spa - Raised 1ft
51 Sq Ft Surface Area
5 jets - 100w light
Air Blower
Paramount MDX Safety Drain
12" Thick Gunite Wall between Pool and Spa

PLUMBING
Pressure Testing all Plumbing Lines and Connections to 35 psi minimum
Poured in Place Steel Reinforced Concrete Pad for Pool Equipment
Paramount MDX Dual Safety Main Drain with ADR under deck Canister
Surface Skimmers (2) with Separate Runs to Pump
Auto Fill System
4 - Surface Returns

STEEL
½â€

The deck forming/steel is getting completed today and tomorrow. I changed the layout a couple of times and increased the size of the deck which added some delays.

They are tentatively scheduled to pour the concrete for the deck on Thursday which is day 29 for our build.

I need to snap some more pictures and update my windows live page. The pictures are located at http://stroudsonline.spaces.live.com

We had a square foot calculating duel yesterday with my PB! No Actually my PB thought the SF estimate was high from the decking company. I calculated 1006, my PB got 1041 and the decking company had something like 1140. My PB is going to tell the decking co that they have to explain where the extra 100SF is coming from. At 7.50SF it makes a big difference.

We took out our standard issue 10X12 concrete patio just outside the back door and expanded it. We didnt want the future table/chairs we plan to put outside to block the view of the pool so we put a 13ft area off to the side.

Now I want them to add a 8X10 pad for a storage shed. Hmm I am hemorraging cash.

TheOne said:
We had a square foot calculating duel yesterday with my PB! No Actually my PB thought the SF estimate was high from the decking company. I calculated 1006, my PB got 1041 and the decking company had something like 1140. My PB is going to tell the decking co that they have to explain where the extra 100SF is coming from. At 7.50SF it makes a big difference.

We took out our standard issue 10X12 concrete patio just outside the back door and expanded it. We didnt want the future table/chairs we plan to put outside to block the view of the pool so we put a 13ft area off to the side.

Now I want them to add a 8X10 pad for a storage shed. Hmm I am hemorraging cash.

Don't hate me for the suggestion, but this is something I wish I had done. I have a smoker/bbq pit and even though I have lots of room on the deck, I don't like the idea of drippings getting on the sundek. I am going to have another concrete pad put out to the side of the pool (maybe 7x4) just for the pit. It would have been much cheaper and easier to have them do this when I built. The cost per sq ft should be cheaper than the surfaced deck too.

I did widen the patio area just outside the door so I could move my grill over past the back windows so I dont see it from inside the house. I didnt think about any problems with the sundek though. I guess I need to read up on it some more. Are there any downsides to sundek?

TheOne said:
I did widen the patio area just outside the door so I could move my grill over past the back windows so I dont see it from inside the house. I didnt think about any problems with the sundek though. I guess I need to read up on it some more. Are there any downsides to sundek?

It's a pretty good/durable product. You can pressure wash it to get stains off. Just don't blast too hard or you can chip it. I'm just kind of particular. I'd prefer not to stain it with meat drippings, whereas I wouldn't care what got on a plain concrete slab made for just that purpose.

If you do keep it on the sundek, get a big enough mat to go underneath and you should be fine.

The decking is getting poured today. I was out this morning marking off the flagstone laterals for the decking guys. I cant wait to get this done so we can get rid of all the dirt and mud getting tracked in the house.

I took a bunch more pictures that I will try to get uploaded tonight.

I have updated some new photos at http://stroudsonline.space.live.com

Here are a couple of photos:

032907028a.jpg

032907025.jpg

032907008.jpg

They are doing the site cleanup today which is good. They are pumping out the nasty water from the pool and spa and cleaning up the gunite overspray, etc. They are also supposed to regrade sections of the yard where the excavator went through.

Then just a few minor punchlist items to be fixed before they complete the interior finish then the sundek coating. They do the sundek coating last so the interior finish guys dont mess up the deck finish.

We have had quite a bit of rain and more planned for this week. Hopefully we can get the interior finish and fill started this week.

I will try to get some more progress pictures posted this week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was cloudy when I took this picture but the initial concrete decking is complete. They still need to install the flagstone laterals and apply the sundek coating. We have had some rain lately which is slowing things down a bit.

040407001a.jpg

Very nice. You're almost there! Did you check your water meter before you started?

If not, just see how many gallons you use in an hour and you can do the math when you shut the water off. In case you are afraid of overfilling during the night and decide to shut the water off - don't. You'll end up with a ring around the pool. Instead, just turn the water down to a small stream. You won't add much water but it will be enough to prevent a water line.

What is that pipe coming out of the ground at the bottom of the picture? And the two coming out of the deck - water features?

I was out back when they finished up the interior finish and were about to start filling up the pool. I was able to check the meter before the fill started.

I had two hoses running from about 2:45 to 8:45 and it was about half full. I shut off one of the hoses at 8:45 so I am hoping that will slow the fill down till the morning. I might turn the hose down a bit to be safe. I have overflow drains in the pool but I want to make sure I get a good reading of the total gallons.

That pipe coming out of the grass is for surface drainage. My yard slopes from left to right and with the new patio we needed to add a drain there. I have 2 skimmers on either side of the pool and the ADR "main drain skimmer" in the middle. Those pipes are just in there to keep the debris out of the lines.

PB came today to shock the pool and put in some CYA and get the pumps going. They wait a month before putting in the salt. Its good to see the water moving. It should clear up in a day or two. We should have some sun this week so I can take a picture of the pool with water.

Glad to see the test kit they include in their pool package is a Taylor kit.

More flagstone work is scheduled for this week for the laterals in the deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.