11th Day of SLAMMING... Mustard? [pic included]

IDGT

Aug 22, 2018
Jupiter / Florida
Hello,

I started my slam on Monday 2/17 bringing my FC to 24-25. I have been maintaining this level throughout the days as much as possible (I work so there is a 2-4 ppm slippage at times) and deep brushing mostly once a day, twice on the weekend days. I’m now on day 11 and and the pool has become very clear but a fine brown “dust” on the bottom of the pool never really goes away. It will clear up to almost nothing but then return to be more noticeable while brushing. I have recently removed my light, cleaned my skimmer housing, and clean my filter 2-3 times since the slam started. Does this image look like mustard algae? The picture was taken before the SLAM started. The algae only formed on the shaded part of the pool and has not come back. A pool company WAS taking care of the pool. I fired them and now trying to get things inline. It seems this algae is becoming resistant to this FC level. Any comments/advise would be greatly appreciate.

*maybe my ph has crept up higher over the last 11 days so the chlorine is becoming less effective?

Pre SLAM
PH 7.2-7.4
FC 7
CC .5
TA 85
CYA 60 (I rounded up)
CH 400
Salt 3800

Current Slam
FC 25
CC 0-0.5
CYA 60 (rounded up)
Temp around 76-80F

Attachments

• 2D56EEBF-9C53-4D38-8E72-278219D76CF3.jpeg
    2D56EEBF-9C53-4D38-8E72-278219D76CF3.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
No, its not mustard algae. Are you sure its not pollen?

Can you scratch some off and schmear it on a piece of what paper?- what's it look like then?

Maddie :flower:
Thank you Maddie,
No it’s not pollen, it has not returned since the first slam day. I now have been dealing with the brown “dust” for almost 10 days off and on. I was starting to read about the CYA standard solution test results and got me thinking maybe I’m not accurate reading my CYA level. So if it’s not mustard algae then I will bring my FC SLAM to the CYA of 70 instead of 60 and see how that works. Good idea? You are fairly confident it’s not mustard?
Thank you,
Derek

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would listen to what Skippy says. She does not think it is mustard. Keep brushing like crazy, especially the new spots you have uncovered. You might want to open the main drain and brush the brown stuff towards it. If it is dead algae then the filter will help. This part is the hardest. POP, pool owner patience. Trust the process and the mods here, they really know what they are doing.

Reactions: IDGT

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.