I'm a new pool owner & completely overwhelmed

Hey yall! I bought a house with a pool 1 week ago & I have no idea how to take care of it. It turned green the second day I had it. I shocked it & spent $250 on ph up & conditioner @ the pool store & would rather not give them anymore of my money. SO... What do I do now? I know I need a good test kit, but which one exactly? I have an old basic 5 test kit I found in the shed, & some 10% chlorinating liquid I picked up. What should I do while I'm waiting on the test kit? I don't want it to turn green again!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You've been "pool-stored" and we totally understand. So here's what you need to be in control:
1- The TF-100 test kit (link below). Make sure to get the XL-Option since you already have algae (more reagents) and the "Speed Stir". Great tool
2 - Review the vital links below in my sig. The will serve you well.
3- Until the kit arrives, a pool your size can handle 1 gallon of regular bleach each evening. Generic bleach is fine. Nothing else - especially no pool store products. Once your kit arrives, post a full set of results and we'll go from there. Great to have you with us.