Pump motor humming, but not turning.

May 22, 2009
I store the pump motor inside all winter (its a Hayward I believe). I hooked everything up yesterday and when I turned it on the pump motor hummed, but would not turn. Just wondering what I can check myself before I have to take the the thing to the shop. Thanks.

Welcome, :wave:

We'll need more information on your equipment, brand/model, etc.

You can put all your pool and equipment info in your signature -

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

One of the equipment gurus will be along shortly to chime in. :wink:

sworth1 said:
I store the pump motor inside all winter (its a Hayward I believe). I hooked everything up yesterday and when I turned it on the pump motor hummed, but would not turn. Just wondering what I can check myself before I have to take the the thing to the shop. Thanks.

see if you can turn the impeller by hand. if its frozen then the bearing have seized most likely.

Sometimes, if you can turn the shaft a turn or two by hand you can often get it unstuck, and the motor may then start normally.

Other times, giving the pump a solid bump with a 2x4 (not hard enough to dent it) will unstick the starter switch and it will then start normally.

The motor could have seized, and if so should respond to hand-turning (with power off) to break the 'stiction'.
Since you unwire it to store and reconnect it to install, I would first look to make certain that the connections are good, that the capacitor hasn't gotten disconnected, and that it is wired for the correct voltage. 120 volts on a motor wired for 240 often results in a hum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.