Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump motor humming, but not turning.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump motor humming, but not turning.

I store the pump motor inside all winter (its a Hayward I believe). I hooked everything up yesterday and when I turned it on the pump motor hummed, but would not turn. Just wondering what I can check myself before I have to take the the thing to the shop. Thanks.
    25K Gal, IG gunite, Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump motor humming, but not turning.

Welcome,

We'll need more information on your equipment, brand/model, etc.

You can put all your pool and equipment info in your signature -

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature.

One of the equipment gurus will be along shortly to chime in.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks! I am at work right now. I will add the information as soon as I get home.
    25K Gal, IG gunite, Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by sworth1
    I store the pump motor inside all winter (its a Hayward I believe). I hooked everything up yesterday and when I turned it on the pump motor hummed, but would not turn. Just wondering what I can check myself before I have to take the the thing to the shop. Thanks.
    see if you can turn the impeller by hand. if its frozen then the bearing have seized most likely.
    Kidney shaped ~ 10000 gallon Ig Plaster pool with pool cage. 120sf Cartridge filter. Pentair WhisperFlo WFDS-26, 230 Volt, 7.8/3.0 Amp, 1-1/2 Horsepower 2 speed pump, Solar panels on the roof. Heliotrope HelioMatic 4000D solar controller.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sometimes, if you can turn the shaft a turn or two by hand you can often get it unstuck, and the motor may then start normally.

Other times, giving the pump a solid bump with a 2x4 (not hard enough to dent it) will unstick the starter switch and it will then start normally.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

The motor could have seized, and if so should respond to hand-turning (with power off) to break the 'stiction'.
    Since you unwire it to store and reconnect it to install, I would first look to make certain that the connections are good, that the capacitor hasn't gotten disconnected, and that it is wired for the correct voltage. 120 volts on a motor wired for 240 often results in a hum.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

try a new capacitor

8. Back To Top    #8

Try replacing the starting capacitor or the centrifugal switch may not be functioning properly.
    20,000 gal. Vinyl
    1.5 hp pump 300 lb. sand filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Here is a step by step Guide with video on How to replace a pool pump capacitor it may be helpful to anyone else experiencing this same issue of the pump humming but not turning over which is a pretty common problem.