0 fc 0 cya what happened

Jul 17, 2014
Joplin, Mo
My pool is mostly shaded and was taking a while to warm up so I bought a solar cover (clear/opaque) everything was fine for 3 weeks before we were swimming (in the 72 degree water) and pool has actually been up and running for about 6 weeks. Running just like normal FC loss of about a gallon and a half of bleach a week and CYA at 40. Skip forward a bit and I put the solar cover on, first time I test after 3 days or so I notice and abnormal FC loss down to 1 ppm. I figure it must just be concentrating the UV and eating up FC. No problem I add some bleach and things seem normal. The pool heats up fast and is in the 82 degree range and seems perfect except some yellow algae has formed. vacuum to waste backflush the filter and all is fine. Now the cover has been on for 3 more days since last "normal readings" (my CH is a little low 150 but they were out at first and I have been forgetting to grab it). Today it is super cloudy and FC and CYA have dropped to zero. Added 4 bottles of bleach 3 hours ago and still zero FC.

Do I just keep adding bleach to kill whatever this is? Will it even work with zero CYA? Is my CYA really zero?

Also it has been 98 degrees here for the last three days and the pool is now 87

Current:
FC: 0
CC: 0
PH: 7.5 (maybe slightly oranger 7.6)
TA: 125
CH: 150

Just a guess - but if this is correct, it sounds like a CYA to ammonia (bacterial) conversion happening. I have seen it, but always on a closed (winterized) pool. Very strange! If that is it, FC will eventually beat ammonia but it takes FC additions, wait 10 minutes and test FC, add back to slam target, wait 10 mins, re-test and repeat until FC holds. Again, I don't know that this is that. I hope somebody with actual knowledge will be around to help soon.

Dose your pool to slam level (10 for 0 CYA) and re-test after 10 minutes. If you lose more than 1/2 your FC in 10 minutes raise it back up to 10ppm and test again in 10 more minutes. Keep up the 10 minute test and dose cycle until the FC starts to hold above 6ppm. At that point you should be able to add enough CYA to reach 20ppm and slam as normal.

Not sure I understand the question, I add 7ML in the vial of pool water and then up to the 14 line of 0013. Shake for 30 seconds and add to the small side of my test cylinder. This is done pool side

- - - Updated - - -

Okay. Just used up my last 7 gallons of bleach to accomplish nothing.... How much more should I buy? 8.25% 22k gallons

As long as your CYA testing has been consistent, something has changed. Mustard algae shouldn't affect your CYA level. Zea has elaborated the ammonia process better than I have, follow that and let us know. Good luck.

UPDATE
Hard to tell but a warning, ammonia can be FC intensive. I would get a few more than normal. Sorry for your trouble.

It may just be coincidence. If you can spread it out on a flat surface and scrub it with some bleach and water solution it should be ok to use. Keep in mind algae grows quicker in warm water, so it may have accellorated a problem that was already there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.