Test result discrepancy

Sep 1, 2015
Aberdeen, NC
So I still consider myself a "new" pool owner and need some help. I have a tft-100 test kit and tested the pool today. I got a FC of 2, CC of 0, pH of 8, Hardness of 275, alkalinity 30.

I took a sample of pool water to the local store and got a huge discrepancy with FC 0.86, CC 0.15, pH 8, Hardness 148, alkalinity 35.

I got both samples about elbow deep. Now the home test I got from a less deep part of the pool but don't think this could account for the big difference in chlorine and Hardness.

Any help would be great

For ref, I have a Jandy Aquapure with AquaLink salt water pool ~40,000 gallons I think.

Last edited:
Any comparison to a pool store test is invalid. Just throw them out, maybe a pH test exception. Trust your's, if you are concerned with your skill practice or watch youtube videos or videos @ TFTestkits.com

In reality, the results are fairly similar. Neither result has a CYA reading tho??

This is why we insist on people getting their own test kit. It isn't to sell kits or because we laugh at making people spend $70, it is because we just cannot trust pool store testing. As you can see, some were close, some a little off, and CH not even close.

You followed the directions in your kit, trust those numbers. No need to ever 'verify' your numbers at a pool store, you got this!

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.