Borates - any value going above 50 ppm to help PH stability?

Feb 10, 2015
Seattle, WA
Figure I already know the answer, but what the hey ...

Last summer I didn't use borates, but this year I did and see there's far less PH bounce (as in, going up) then last year. Where before the PH would rocket up to and past 8, now it creeps, say a couple days to go from 7.4 to 7.6 or so (and the rest of my chems are essentially perfect per the Taylor kit).

I know I'm at 50 ppm for borates now because used the pool calc and also have the strips that confirm, but would like to try and halt or at least slow down even more the PH increase. I was thinking of adjusting borates to 55 and then maybe 60 ppm to see if that might work, but wanted to know if that's even worth it. I have a feeling it probably won't make a difference.

Am I stuck with upwards creeping PH? That's SWP's for you buddy, so get used to it?

Are you able to further adjust TA, what's your current TA reading? Does pH ever stabilize as it nears 7.8? Many people find a balance at 7.8 and leave it there and manage their CSI accordingly, provided low CH and scaling potential. I don't use borates, but i don't think over 50 is suggested.

Hello and thanks for the reply. My TA is at 80 and has been for a while, so no issues there. Interesting point about the PH stabilizing around 7.8 though. That could be the case with me, but still not optimal as that's a stabilization on the high side.

I think the PH creep is probably something I'll have to live with, if for no other reason than external environmental factors alone. Not a big deal, add a little MA every few days and it's back in range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.