Help getting new water balanced

Jun 13, 2016
Lemont, IL
Hello everyone, first time poster. Have been having a lot of issues getting the water set up, this is all new water after a new vinyl liner was installed. Two truck loads 5,500 gallons each were well water, the rest we filled with our hose which is also well water. The pool is really clear, but we are using a lot of chlorine daily. I just ran tests with the Taylor k-2006 kit.

Free chlorine - 0 / 4.2 ppm*
Combined Chlorine 0 / 0*
Ph - 7.8
Total Alkalinity - 275
Calcium Hardness - 475
CYA - 0

I'm assuming the CYA is zero, the water never turned cloudy during the test.
*** I have two separate values for the chlorine. The first test was ran after adding 1 gallon on liquid chlorine yesterday. The second was about 30 minutes after adding 1 gallon today.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome! TA is high but we can address that later. I'd get the pH down with some MA and pool math. Let that circulate and get some CYA in the pool via sock over the return. Other than that, looks a ok.

Read up on the ABC'S of Pool Water Chemistry and ask questions if you have any.

Welcome! TA is high but we can address that later. I'd get the pH down with some MA and pool math. Let that circulate and get some CYA in the pool via sock over the return. Other than that, looks a ok.

Read up on the ABC'S of Pool Water Chemistry and ask questions if you have any.

I just redid the chlorine tests, free chlorine is 6.5, combined .5

Updated test results. Pool is sparkling clean. Added liquid chlorine after tests to bring my free chlorine to 4. I am shooting for a CYA level of 40, and have been working on lowering the total alkalinity with acid and aerating.

FC - 1.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
Total Alkalinity - 200
CYA - 30
CH - 350

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.