I just want clear water :(

Hello everyone. I am a second season pool owner. Was able to keep my pool crystal clear all of last season. Did my best to make sure the water was sparkling before I put the winter cover on it and hoped for the best this season.
Due to water sitting on the cover and some other factors when I opened the pool this season I was horrified to see some very nasty water.
It's been a little over two weeks and though the water is no longer nasty it isn't clear yet either.

I've been trying to kinda do a hybrid of the BBB method and using some pool products that I've gotten from the store, including algaecide, floc, shock, etc.
As of this week I finally ordered a k-2006 test kit (instead of using test strips) and am going to become a BBB puritan.

So, my question is, how do I go the next step to get my water crystal clear again? Do I slam it, or just bring the chlorine levels to shock lever for awhile?

I am posting three pics so you can see my progress so far.

1st pic is what it looked like when I first opened the pool. Was nasty. I pretty much used a LOT of algaecide, chlorine, and shock powder.

2nd pic is what it looked like a week later

3rd pic is what it looks like now, you can make out the bottom of the pool (if you squint), top water seems clear, but it is pretty foggy still.

I appreciate any and all help that you give! By the way, my new test kit should be in today!

http://First Opened by Charles Little, on Flickr

http://After Few Days by Charles Little, on Flickr

http://After Floc Cloudy by Charles Little, on Flickr

I'd almost just dump it and start from scratch. If not, SLAM it is. A real SLAM, not "just bring the chlorine levels to shock levels for awhile"

Yeah, mixing methodologies isn't going to work, as you've found out.

Post results when you get it, if you're loaded with CYA e.g. that'll make for a quick decision.

While you wait for your test kit get that water up to the proper level and make sure the pump and filter are working. Use your net to get as much of the junk off the bottom and off the top. The more solids in the water the longer it will take to clear the pool.

What is your fill source? City water, well or do you truck in water? The cost of 15,000 or so gallons of water may be the determining factor of SLAM or refill. Even if you refill, you will be doing a SLAM once it's filled to clear the mixture of new and old water once it mixes.

If you are going to follow the SLAM process I would suggest going ahead and buying refill for the FAS-DPD part of the kit as you will likely run out before finishing the SLAM if you bought a standard K-2006A kit

The refills are available at TF Test kits, you can probably get away with just buying the XL option which gets you extra 870 powder and 871 reagent for the FC part of the test.
TFTestkits.net

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately dumping and starting over isn't an option right now. I use city water and my utilities don't separate water used outside from water used inside, so have to pay sewer on all water used, which is about 3x cost of water.

I read over the SLAM instructions but am not entirely clear on exactly what to do.

I'm probably going to start this Saturday Morning.
How do I determine the chlorine level needed to achieve SLAM levels?
Do I check the levels once an hour to see if they are still up and keep adding chlorine?
How many hours will I need to keep working on it?

Thanks again.

Charles

You need the FAS/DPD test to measure higher chlorine levels for slam. You need to test your CYA level which determines you shock level for the SLAM.

See the chart for your level. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart for your shock FC level.

The method for SLAM - Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Test as much as you can in the beginning to keep the FC at shock FC level. Test, add your bleach/liquid chlorine, wait an hour test again, add bleach/liquid chlorine.

Run filter 24/7.

You are done when you cn pass all three criteria for ending SLAM.

Many times you can call your municipality and they'll waive the sewer fee on a fill up. (If your CYA is high) You might want to spend some time reading others' swamp to clear threads to get a feel for the entire SLAM process while you wait for your kit. It helps you anticipate what you'll need. Keep in mind, it seems to take a little longer (my own personal observation) when a poster has put many pool store items in the pool before starting the SLAM versus bleach or liquid chlorine only.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.