Advice please!

rdawes

Jun 13, 2016
Central Ohio
I don't know how to search this question to get a straightforward answer, so please don't yell at me for starting a new thread. Last week we were on vacation, long story short, my pump burned up. Water's green, algae growing on sides and bottom. Got a new pump and it's running now. All the algae is broken up but the water is still green. I have no clue what any of my levels were or are, never tested before. The sand filter and SWG has always kept it crystal clear. Can I shock it with an SWG? Or is there something you can suggest I do? If I can shock, do I use liquid or powder? Thank you in advance.

Welcome.

First things first (Answer your question): Yes, you can "shock" with a SWG, but "Shock" is not considered a product around these parts. It's a process (Shock Level And Maintain) and is done with Liquid.

First, You need you get a DIY test kit. the TF-100 is linked in my signature. There is also a Taylor k-2006, but it has less reagent.

Secondly, if your pool is green, it is probably not Algae free and needs to be SLAM'ed.

Anyone know where to buy a kit local to central Ohio?

You're not going to find a TF-100 in your local pool store. You MIGHT find a Taylor 2006, but trust me - you want the TF-100. I know it looks expensive, but you'll get your money back by using the TFP method. If your pool is green now, you'll probably want the XL option. It gives you more reagent for when you're slamming your pool. This article in Pool School will help you understand the SLAM process: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125.
If you order from TFtestkits, the shipping is pretty quick.

In order for any help on the forum to be helpful to you, you need to embrace the TFP method and to do that you absolutely must have a test kit.

Joey

Bleach and Liquid Chlorine are the same chemical by different names and concentrations. LC is 10%-12.5% Sodium Hypochlorite. Bleach can be up to 8.25% concentration. You can compare price per active once by this link.

Until you receive your test kit, add 1/2 -1 jug of LC per evening and before you start start your SLAM, I'd turn off the SWG. It'll be a waste. Turn it back on once you pass the three criteria (OCLT-FC, OCLT-CC, and clear water).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TC - 5 ppm
CYA - 70 ppm
PH - 7.2
TA - 70 ppm

There was no hardness in my water...at all. I guess between our city water and the SWG?

TC is high, but I've been running the boost for 3 days now and added bleach every day too.

The water is no longer green, it smells really clean, but is still cloudy.

rdawes.....I've only been around a year. Ask away, anything that concerns you, and you will be directed to the correct solution. If you jump forum protocol for some reason, the experts/moderators will explain what to do and what not to do. No yelling here. They want us to make the best use of TFP and all the information available to you.
You're going to find honest, knowledgable people here with expert advice willing and wanting you to understand and enjoy your pool owning experience without getting held up the pool store or sent in the wrong direction chasing magic solutions.
Welcome.....

If you have a Cya of 70,your shock level is 23. If your FC is at 23 there's no way you want to swim in it. Also you said you can't see the bottom which makes it a dangerous situation to swim in.

Your last post had a FC of 5. We're you able to get it up to to the shock level of 23?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.