First pool test

I'm new to all this but I think you can treat FC and Ph, just wait a good 30 minutes between adding bleach and acid. Don't let the two interact directly, ever. Maybe add bleach, brush the pool, drink a beverage, watch the birds, then add the acid.

You can also have your CYA in a sock doing its magic all the while.

You'll have to stay on top of the FC until you get CYA up. You also might have to put quite a lot of acid in to get the Ph down as an 8.2 reading could be in all actuality, higher. If it doesnt initially come down from 8.2, just keep treating it as if it were 8.2 and you'll eventually get where you need to be.

Excellent.

You need to get the PH down and the Chlorine up.

Read this to see what to use.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Read this to see where you should be.
Pool School - Recommended Levels
Use this to calculate how to get there.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

How much CYA did you add? (Liquid or granular)

4lbs granular yesterday afternoon

- - - Updated - - -

I'm new to all this but I think you can treat FC and Ph, just wait a good 30 minutes between adding bleach and acid. Don't let the two interact directly, ever. Maybe add bleach, brush the pool, drink a beverage, watch the birds, then add the acid.

You can also have your CYA in a sock doing its magic all the while.

You'll have to stay on top of the FC until you get CYA up. You also might have to put quite a lot of acid in to get the Ph down as an 8.2 reading could be in all actuality, higher. If it doesnt initially come down from 8.2, just keep treating it as if it were 8.2 and you'll eventually get where you need to be.

Yeah the ph test water was slightly darker than the 8.2 color so I assume it's higher. Thanks for the info!

4# of granular CYA will take you from 0 to 42 CYA -- IF , IF you were at 0. If its still dissolving, I'd consider pulling about a pound out, letting the remainder dissolve and then bumping the CYA again (using poolmath) to the desired CYA number after the initial dose has had 48-72 hours to percolate.

Don't overshoot your CYA as the only way to reduce CYA is to drain and replace water.

However - I see that you are in PHX. A high CYA will be good in the desert sun, but I still wouldnt overshoot it.

Last edited:
4# of granular CYA will take you from 0 to 42 CYA -- IF , IF you were at 0. If its still dissolving, I'd consider pulling about a pound out, letting the remainder dissolve and then bumping the CYA again (using poolmath) to the desired CYA number after the initial dose has had 48-72 hours to percolate.

Don't overshoot your CYA as the only way to reduce CYA is to drain and replace water.

However - I see that you are in PHX. A high CYA will be good in the desert sun, but I still wouldnt overshoot it.

I just tested the cya and it's at 42. It had 0 before I added anything, the mixture going into the tube with the black dot was crystal clear and I emptied the whole sample into the tube and it wasn't remotely cloudy. It's all dissolved now.

I added 2 qts of muriatic acid this morning before the pump kicked on and let it sit for an hr. After 2 hrs with the pump on (3 hrs total for the acid) the TA is down to 190 and the ph is at 7.2. I'll retest the TA in 4 more hrs like it says to. I just added 64 oz of chlorine and will check that in 30 min.

Is it safe to swim in today with everything that's been added in the last 18 hrs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some of the more seasoned pros should chime in, but I believe you want you want the following in line before you swim. All must be met:

1. PH between 7.2 and 7.8
2. FC at or below SLAM level, preferrably in range for your CYA
3. CC Less than 1.0.
4. Water should be clear, you can see the bottom in all areas.

I'm a bit confused on why you added 2Q of MA. Approximately 1Q of normal MA would take you from 8.2 to 7.2, for your pool size. Are you using PoolMath? It's always best to undershoot your numbers and then bump to the desired result. Overshooting creates a yo-yo effect.

I'll be interested to see where your MA lands after it sets in.

^^ What mrBruce said.. :)

Overshot pH a little bit but that's ok. Can you point your returns up to break the surface a little bit?

What's the water look like?

They're stuck in place. I can turn on the waterfall though. Water is crystal clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of the more seasoned pros should chime in, but I believe you want you want the following in line before you swim. All must be met:

1. PH between 7.2 and 7.8
2. FC at or below SLAM level, preferrably in range for your CYA
3. CC Less than 1.0.
4. Water should be clear, you can see the bottom in all areas.

I'm a bit confused on why you added 2Q of MA. Approximately 1Q of normal MA would take you from 8.2 to 7.2, for your pool size. Are you using PoolMath? It's always best to undershoot your numbers and then bump to the desired result. Overshooting creates a yo-yo effect.

I'll be interested to see where your MA lands after it sets in.

^^ What mrBruce said.. :)

I added 2 qt because that's what the lady at the pool store said to do when I bought the MA. I'll follow the pool math stuff from now on.

- - - Updated - - -

What about the TA?

Waterfall would be great.

Yes, please no more pool store advice. Stay away!

Always tackle pH in 1/2 to 2/3 steps especially at first. Too easy to go too far.

e: TA is last. How's the water look?

Waterfall would be great.

Yes, please no more pool store advice. Stay away!

Always tackle pH in 1/2 to 2/3 steps especially at first. Too easy to go too far.

e: TA is last. How's the water look?

Ok, thanks for the tip and info. How long should I leave the waterfall on? The water is clear.

What the proper method the move the jets? Mine will not move just using my hand? Is that normal or should they move with little effort?

Test pH this afternoon, see what you get. Might start to get a baseline for how much that waterfall increases pH.

If you have eyeball returns, you should be able to move them or rotate them. I don't myself, it's not a big deal if you don't.

Test pH this afternoon, see what you get. Might start to get a baseline for how much that waterfall increases pH.

If you have eyeball returns, you should be able to move them or rotate them. I don't myself, it's not a big deal if you don't.

Just tested. Chlorine is still 5.5, pH is now 7.2 maybe 7.3, it's a little darker than the 7.2 color but not quite as dark as 7.4. So aerating for 4 hrs brought the pH up ~.3. I'll leave the waterfall on and check it in a couple more hrs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.