Am I Crazy to Even Consider a Maintenance Service??

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
So I've been scouring this forum for six plus months as we've been getting ready to and finally building our pool, and the day is finally here - plasterers are on their way! Hallelujah! We are getting Wet Edge Primera Stone (Riviera Coast).

So here's my dilemma - I have read all of the various pool school articles and numerous threads, and I have no doubt that I am capable of taking care of the pool myself. However, we travel quite a bit, I mean, on average probably 1-2 weeks per month, so I have serious concerns about how I will be able to maintain the pool using TFP methods given my schedule. I read over and over how you must test the water daily, but obviously there's no way I can do that when I'm gone.

And I worry quite a bit about just leaving it untouched for a week or two at a time. That can't be good, can it? For example, we should have water in on Saturday, which will just barely give me enough time (the two weeks) to follow the Wet Edge start up procedures before we leave town for 11-12 days. And I'm freaking out about that - I can't just leave it alone for all that time, can I?

So despite all the entreaties to the contrary, I am considering hiring a maintenence service, just because of our schedule (and I failed to mention that we especially travel a lot in the summer, which is when I imagine it's going to require the most care, especially in these SE Louisiana summers). I will also say that we have a home in Tampa that has a pool and there we have a maintenence service because we only make it there every few months, and we have never had any problems, they keep the pool well balanced, clear, etc.

Oh, and we have an automatic chlorinator, which I know everyone on hear hates, but so many people love them, and that is what we have in Tampa, so they must have some purpose.

Anyway, just wanted to throw this out there, see what people thought, if I might possibly be able to care for the pool with my lifestyle, if I'm totally crazy for even considering hiring a service (I'll be honest, I know it's not more than a few hours a month, but I wouldn't mind paying someone to have those hours for myself - time is so precious), any suggestions on what to do when we go away in two weeks immediately after the pool has just been started up, etc.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas, admonishments, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the super quick response.

Interesting you say that. We thought long and hard about a SWG, but ultimately decided against it for various reasons (including that our cousin has one and has had a **** of a time with it, we worried about the salt affecting stuff around the pool, as we have a small urban yard, etc.).

Well we have just as much, or even more (I mean, practically daily right now) rain here, so won't that be the same.

I have never heard of a member here having a problem with their SWG* unhappy with their SWG. In fact, most of them will tell you that if it stopped working they would immediately replace it without a second thought. Harm to decking seems to be an urban legend.

Full disclosure, it seems pH tends to go up with a SWG but other than that they are pretty much hands off. Cost wise it seems to even out in the end as well.

*e: Ok, cells die, etc. Not that they are bulletproof.

I'm in Chicago, where maintenance service runs about $125/week (not a very competitive market). I really enjoy the meditative aspects of pool maintenance but if I lived in an area where competition existed and pools were plentiful (and I was going to be charged a lot less than $500/month) and I traveled a lot -- then I'd seriously consider it. There's no shame in enjoying your lifestyle.

I'd bite the bullet and get someone to look after it. 2 week stretches are tough even with an automatic chlorination solution (SWG, inline, etc) I'd lay down some law on what exactly they are supposed to be doing though.

Thanks, all, for the responses. $125/week! Ouch. Yeah, that's definitely a benefit of being in a warm weather place where pools are plentiful (although Florida makes this area look spartan). I've gotten quotes for $125-140 a month.

Oh, believe me, there will be law laid down ☺

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.