Mystery of disappearing chlorine

May 21, 2014
Massachusetts
Hi
Big TFP fan - the system is so easy and effective it turned the pool chores into NBD.

But I have a problem right now....
Average PPM chlorine consumption is running at 5ppm/day this year!
Previous years it averaged 1.2 ppm/day.

Already checked for visible algae, did OCLT, cleaned filter cartridges.

OCLT: 0.5 ppm overnight
Algae: nothing visible

Right now using the TF Test Kit:
FC 2.0 ppm (just measured and haven't put in today's contribution)
CC 0.0 ppm
CH 150
TA 95
pH 7.6
CYA 30

(Using "Megashock" 12.5% sodium hypochlorite for chlorine.)

Any help appreciated....

Thanks,
Steve

Steven I am glad to hear your pool has been mostly trouble free. It does seem a little hungry though. I just checked your current weather for your state. It is on the warm side up there right now. How does the temps compare to last year? What has your bather load been like?

Does your pool have a toothbrush yet? If not get it one and go after the little places-all around the returns, inside and around the skimmer boxes, the skimmer doors, steps-bottom and behind.

Now lets talk about lights. Your very complete siggy does not list them but thought I better ask. Do you have a light? If so when was the last time your took it out?

I look forward to your comments to my questions and ideas. I tend to just throw things up and see what sticks.

Kim:cat:

Bingo!

I never pay attention to the lights - they've never worked.
So I just checked and they're BLACK behind the glass!

Ok, so I know what I'll be doing this weekend.....

Any secrets to cleaning the light fixtures (I mean, other than SHUT OFF THE ELECTRICITY)?
Dissassemble, scrub the removable parts with bleach, but what about the cavity?

Thanks!

Steve

i took them totally apart, and let them dry in the sun. and replaced the seals. my lights dont' work, so i took them apart and sealed them and put them back in so no water gets in them. also clean behind the lights,,, where they sit in the side... that is where i had 2 inch algae... mess to clean, but glad i did.

This is where the toothbrush will come in hand. I wonder if a bottle brush would be helpful for this...Puppies what do you think?

I like his idea of sealing them up so no water can get in them.

You are going to need to SLAM the pool for a day or so after this. There will be no way to keep that nasty stuff from getting into your pool :(

Nice job finding the nasties!

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.