Zero progress....

Jun 16, 2016
West Sand Lake, NY
having a hard time trying to get my pool clear..
never had a pool before and with assistance from my local pool store I've successfully spent about $500 in product in the past 2 weeks in attempt to get the problem rectified.. Well to say the least, here's where my google search has led me for assistance!

today's test from the company yielded:
Total Chlorine: 1.2
Free Chlorine: 0.0
pH 6.9
Alkalinity 80
Calcium 75
Stabilizer 0
Shock Treatment 1.2

Water looks milky/cloudy and there are small specks of white churning through..

I honestly don't know what direction to go. I'm trying to do this on my own but find it overwhelming with the amount of stuff to do. Thought about hiring a pool person, but not sure who's good or bad..

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith, Welcome to TFP :)

You are the best pool pro there is, no better person to take care of you pool...

You need a test kit to know exactly what is going on, the Tf100 + the XL option and a little work with grocery store products will get your pool this clear and keep it there using bleach :)

Check out the links in my signature, grab a test kit

make a trip to walmart, grab 10 gallons of 10% bleach/liquid chlorine from the pool isle
pour 1 gallon in your pool a day and brush untill your test kit arrives (this just keeps everything from getting worse)
when your kit arrives post numbers here

I hope this helps :)
N5CCcCzh.jpg

liquid chlorine is bleach is liquid chlorine...

The strength may be different between the two but the exact same thing is in each...chlorine.

I have the 12.5% sodium hypochlorite that I'll use in the interim. I was told to add metal magnet yesterday in fear of iron in my water so I shouldn't add bleach until 5pm today.
And when you mean brush, you are referring to actually brushing the walls and floor correct?

First, welcome to TFP!

Second, great job getting the TF-100 ordered right away. Many people procrastinate on the kit and end up just extending the trouble. I know it isn't a cheap kit, but it will help you never spend $500 on zero progress again!

One thing, figure out how much those 2.5 gallon jugs of chlorine cost vs bleach. It might be more cost efficient continuing to buy those, or they might be overpriced, but don't just use store brand bleach because that is what we call it. Here bleach is just shorthand for liquid chlorine, use whichever makes more sense from an economical and/or convenience factor. Remember, you will have to add 50% more bleach to get the same results as that 12.5%.

Good luck with your cleanup. It might not happen instantly, but you will see progress this time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For giggles, I went to another pool shop and tested my well water because I was afraid of metal. Copper is .00, and Iron is .02
They also tested the pool water which has been chlorine free since yesterday. Their reading is
FC - .016
TC - .066
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.1
Hardness - 147
Alkalinity - 100
CYA - 39

Anything I can do between now and the arrival of my Tf100 to continue in the right direction?

That's okay. Adding the bleach daily and keeping your pump running 24/7 will help get you started in the right direction.

Remember to brush every day and to backwash your filter when the pressure rises 25%.

Metals, if you have problem, can be addressed after you finish your SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.