New to Pools with CYA question. Fairly lost!

Jun 16, 2016
New Jersey
I inherited a pool from a house I purchased so please bear with me on my lack of knowledge. This is all completely nes to me.

I want to purchase a chlorinator but I have read where that, along with tablets, will effect the CYA in the water. I drain between 6 to 8 inches during the winter months, and I have a DE filter so i bsckwash the filter once a month. Is that good enough to dilute the water and not deal with algae years down the line?

Also, if I add algeacide one week, with a pound of shock the following week, will that also help keep it in check?

I have an above ground pool circular pool I believe 21 feet and approximately 15000 gallons. I also live in NJ so the pool season is very short.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to TFP :) Good to have you here!

CYA is stabilizer, which protects chlorine from loss due to sunshine. It also causes problems by preventing chlorine from working properly if there is too much of it.

Stay away from the pool store for now. The advice you get there is unlikely to be helpful because their objectives are not the same as yours as a pool owner.

Filters only clean water. They do not affect the water chemistry other than by removing particles that can affect the chemistry.

Start with these this link which is not very much reading, but will give you some of the basics that define Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC). Be sure to click through on the links that are in blue within the text.
TFPC for Beginners

Also, please click the link below in my signature "Read this before you post" which includes tips to help you toward taking control of your pool.

Then come on back with questions :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.