Help with new pool,

Apr 12, 2009
Just closed on my new house today. It has a 30k gal, IG, vinyl, sand filter pool. I'll be leaving Saturday morning to go back to the old house (8 hour drive away) for 3 weeks until we move into the new house permanently. I'm going to need plenty of help figuring out the new pool. The vinyl liner looks ok but has some wear. The pool inspection we got before we bought the house gave it 2 yrs before it needs replacing - I'm questioning if it will last that long. I'll try to take lots of pictures tomorrow b/c I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.

For now. Should I try to do anything with the water now or just wait until I come back?

pH 6.8
FC 1.5
CC 7.0
TC 8.5
CYA <20 (the whole tube is full with minimal turbidity)
TA 100
CH 200 (realize this isn't a big deal with a vinyl liner pool)

Congrats on closing!

If anything, I'd get the pH up. Even if you have to sweep the pool manually to get it mixed, that's what I'd do. Everything else can wait.

The only pool chemical I saw when I did the final walkthrough this am was a bucket of soda ash. Didn't even look at the bucket to see how much was in it. I suspect low pH has been an issue for this pool before - especially with the condition of the liner (its only 5 yrs old). Using pool calc I'll need 11 lbs of soda ash to get pH up to 7.5. Whats the best way to add it to the pool?
Also, should I get a little CYA in there to go ahead and get it dissolved so when I return I can do a good vacuuming and start shocking it?

it sounds like leaving it alone is a recipe for algae seeing as how your cc's are already way high. is the pump on a timer and currently running? what do you guys think about shocking and adding cya so he doesn't come back to a swamp? and possibly pq60?

If your TA is already 100, you will be better off raising the PH with borax. Either will work, but in the long run borax will be less effort.

Both soda ash and borax are best added to the pool by pre-dissolving them in a bucket of water and then pouring that slowly in front of a return jet.

Neddy191 said:
Just closed on my new house today. It has a 30k gal, IG, vinyl, sand filter pool. I'll be leaving Saturday morning to go back to the old house (8 hour drive away) for 3 weeks until we move into the new house permanently. I'm going to need plenty of help figuring out the new pool. I'll try to take lots of pictures tomorrow b/c I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions.
For now. Should I try to do anything with the water now or just wait until I come back?
pH 6.8
FC 1.5
CC 7.0
TC 8.5
CYA <20 (the whole tube is full with minimal turbidity)
TA 100
Congratulations on the new house!
I would not wait 3 weeks to get started. The liner needs PH.
a) add CYA (Stabilizer, Conditioner; same thing) in a sock in the skimmer, wallyworld is a good source
b) Raise the PH to 7.4 using borax (green box, wallyworld again) (Jason's right, as usual :bowdown: )
c) shock the pool today, shock it again tomorrow (pool chlorine OR 6% bleach from wallyworld again)

Is there anyone that could add some bleach while you are away? Otherwise you'll end up with a floater with trichlor :oops: in it will help to maintain "some" chlorine while you are gone: Just remember that trichlor adds more CYA and drops PH again.

And yes, PICS are helpful, as is a list of equipment, good/bad/indifferent: You have what you have.

What kind of shape is the water in now? IF it's clear, up the ph and use a floater while you're gone. This will increase your CYA levels. But if you go this route, bump the PH up to 7.6-7.7 to accomodate the fact that the PH will drop when using the trichlor tablets in the floater, so this will give you some extra cusion over the 3 weeks.

If it's already algae laden, just increase the ph and wait till you take possession to start defeating the green monster.

I'm going to have lots of questions about the new pool.

I spent last night at the new house, so no internet and couldn't get access to this forum until now, back and old home 8 hrs away.

I did manage to go by WalMart and get 19 lbs of borax (pool calc said I needed 21lbs to get pH to 7.5). Put it in last night. Rechecked pH this am and it was 8.2! Both the old owner and the pool inspector told me it is 30000 gallons so I don't think volume miscalculation was a problem.

I also found 6lb of CYA at the walmar and went ahead and put it in the skimmers this morning.

I didn't do anything as afar as chlorine is concerned. With a CC of 7 and <24 hrs at the new house before I had to return I didn't think I'd be able to make a whole lot of headway. The water is clear right now. There area few greenish spots on the liner which I think might be algae. I guess I'll see how it looks when I get back up there.

I certainly have lots of questions. I got some pictures this morning to try to help illustrate my questions, which I'm sure I'll have plenty. I'm going to try to get some pics uploaded in the am and get my question asking started.

Hi and welcome,

Is the pool pump on a timer and did you leave it running? The stabilizer you added can run you psi up on your pump.
Do you have someone to watch for the psi rise? I really think the pucks would have been better. Hopefully all will be ok though. The cc was really high and the FC was very low so don't be surprised when you go back to a green pool.
Hopefully all will be ok. Fingers crossed and while you are away order a good FAS-dpd test kit. Well worth the investment.

Good Luck with your new pool,
Susan

P.S. Chlorine is the key ingredient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.