Chlorine automation

First off, just a thanks to pool professionals. We were lucky to have someone who really knew his stuff servicing our HOA pool for decades. Now that he has retired, we didn't fully realize how rare and valuable a good tech really is!

Since his retirement we have had a slew of 'pros' manage our HOA pool with disappointing results. It is a ~40k gallon in ground fiberglass with a separate ~500 gal spa each with its own heater and filter. Problem now is we have a ton of kids ( 30) using the pool after school and weekends. Service comes 3x/week and chemistry is out of whack. We are off the chart ( +100 cyanuric acid and high free chlorine) He says that is result of Dichlor and now manually adds liquid chlorine to manage pool and spa. We have purple staining on pool walls.

Pool guy wants to install a salt system stating that it would keep up with demand yet everything that I read says it is not the best option. Several have strongly suggested to use a pump with liquid chlorine. However it appears these pumps pump a fixed amount on a fixed schedule. I'm thinking that something that monitors the chemistry would be a better option. Like a Pentair Intellichem with Stenner pumps.

So my question to you pros is simply would a sensor based automation help us or is it more up the the tech learning the pool and usage. What do the high usage commercial pools use? Thank you in advance for all your thoughts.

Sam

So my question to you pros is simply would a sensor based automation help us or is it more up the the tech learning the pool and usage. What do the high usage commercial pools use? Thank you in advance for all your thoughts.

Sam
No, the sensor based automation has a critical flaw, the sensors need fairly regular cleaning and calibration for them to work even mediocre. There have been multiple stories here of folks who went out to their pool to find that eh automation has pumped an entire tank of chlorine or acid into the pool because of a sensor malfunction.

Before you move in any direction you need to find out want the health department in your area will allow. Most HOA pools fall under the regulations for a commercial pool. Each jurisdiction is different in what hey allow. Don't go too far down any road until you confirm what is allowed.

Wow, great advice! Thank you! Looks like another case of 'digital' is not better than old school.

Then would this be a good direction:
a) Rolochem 12 with a timer to turn off over night. Pump runs 24hrs.
b) Chemistry monitor to view and track chemistry via app. Pool tech could then keep an eye on things and stop by if necessary.

I do understand that the monitor would have the same issue of needing sensor cleaning but at least won't pump a 55 gal drum of chlo into the pool. Any favorite brands?
Thanks again
S

Wow, great advice! Thank you! Looks like another case of 'digital' is not better than old school.

Then would this be a good direction:
a) Rolochem 12 with a timer to turn off over night. Pump runs 24hrs.
b) Chemistry monitor to view and track chemistry via app. Pool tech could then keep an eye on things and stop by if necessary.

I do understand that the monitor would have the same issue of needing sensor cleaning but at least won't pump a 55 gal drum of chlo into the pool. Any favorite brands?
Thanks again
S

I don't know, does your health department allow additions of liquid chlorine during the hours that the pool is open? You really need to figure out the regulations before you do anything. Many places have requirements that you have a CPO certification to work on the pool, maintain a log of all test readings and chemical additions, and even like I said, closing the pool for X number of hours after additions of liquid chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.