New pool owner who needs help...

SDsurf

Jun 14, 2016
Encinitas, CA
I am thrilled to have found this place but the last few days of reading as much as I can has my head spinning a little. Hoping I can get some advice on our pool before its too late.:D

I think I have all the relevant equipment information in my signature but please let me know if I am missing something. Moved into our house a few years ago and had a pool guy that did not seem to do much. He had worked for the previous owner forever. Pool seemed to be ok over that time but we added a SWG and ditched the pool guy. Everything was pretty good for about 8 month. I am actually surprised a clear pool lasted so long with me having no idea what I was doing. I was also doing very little if any maintenance. I recently found out my CYA was super high. Not sure if there is much I can do about it at this point. I am now starting to get a little algae. I would like to learn as much as I can so I can take care of my pool properly without hiring a pool guy.

I had to replace a leaking brass header on my old Raypak heater this past weekend so there was at least 36 hours without running the pump and filter. Please see the pool test from today. From my reading on this forum it seems like I should not be trusting these tests from the local pool store and get my own test kit. Current water temp is around 82 as I have a bubble cover to help reduce evaporation.

• What test kit do you guys recommend?
  • There seems to be several issues. What should I address first.

Pool Test.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

The most important number is missing, CYA. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Keep it above minimum at all times.

No, we don't trust pool store test results, they are too wrong too often. I use the TF-100 test kit and I buy mine from TFTestkits.net. There is also a west coast distributor, Pool Supplies, Spa Supplies and Parts. Call them to see if they have it in stock.

You can certainly maintain your own pool and do a better job than the pool guy and the pool store.

Your CH is very high, will need to drain to lower it or take some steps to manage it. Get a test kit and let's see what CYA is and go from there.

Thanks for the help pooldv. PS&P was out of stock so I ordered the test kit from TFTk. I had been running my SWG at 30% so I bumped it up to 60% to help raise the chlorine a little. I have been only running my system for 7 hour at night to save electricity $. Is it more beneficial for pool wellness to run during the day? Should I be running for longer?

I just cleaned my cartridge filters two days ago. Anything else I should be doing while i wait for my test kit?

You only need to run the filter long enough to keep the pool clean. Run your pump as short as you can to keep the pool clean and run the SWG as high as needed to keep up. So, if 6 hours at 100% gets it done that is fine. Night is fine. Just be sure that FC doesn't drop below minimum before the SWG turns back on. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Keep FC up around target and brush daily.

Test kit comes tomorrow so I will know for sure but I am guessing my cya is around 120 so my target FC should be around 6.5 based on the charts I have found here. Currently it is just above 2 based of the dinky kit from the local pool store. This was after running the swg at 100% for about 11 hours last night after a very thorough scrubbing. I checked the FC when I got home today after the pool sat all day in the upper 80's and they seemed to maintain the above 2 level all day. Should I add some bleach tonight to help get the FC up a little?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.