Pump will not Prime - I've tried the basics

May 21, 2009
I turn the pump on a get Zero pressure on the filter gauge. I can see water flowing into the basket but it is not quite strong enough to prime. I can see bubbles coming out my return. If I turn it to backwash mode (DE filter) the backwash pressure is very low too. I put water in the pot prior to turning it on so that is not starving for water. So I have done the following:

1) Checked the top O-ring, lubricated it and reinstalled several times with different pressures.
2) I put my hand in the pot and through to the impeller - yes there was some grass in there and I was able to pull it out. Turn back on - still weak pressure.
3) I seperate the pot from the pump so that I can see the impeller. Nothing stuck in there. What a pain to sandwich back in that large O-Ring.
4) I have a device that screws on to the end of a hose to force heavy water pressure through the skimmer pipe. It doesn't push anything significant into the pot.
5) I checked all the plumbing in the filter area for cracks and leaks - don't see anything - don't hear air being sucked in.

Prior to all this I was using the vacuum to pick up a pretty dirty bottom floor. I backwashed, added DE and then my pressure was low.
Any advice is appreciated.
Rob

Sounds like you may have an obstruction in the skimmer line, try your 'drain king' (the doohickie that attaches to your garden hose) on suction port on your pump to try to blow the obstruction back into the skimmer :idea:

Welcome to TFP!! Please keep us abreast as to your developments and we'll be here to answer/ comment :-D

[edit] MY BAD :hammer: - I meant to type "pump" instead of "skimmer" - (fortunately no one will ever know of my 'boo - boo' because I edited it :twisted: )

I tried to put a tennis ball over the opening in the skimmer to see if the system would suck only through the drain. I didn't see any water coming through at all. Not sure if this means anything or not.

Update: I replaced the pot O-Ring and washed the DE off my filters. Still no change.
One other clue I forgot to mention: I did see some DE come up out of the main drain when this problem started. Not sure what that means either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.