Need to SLAM, Algae Above Water Line

Apr 30, 2013
Hi everyone!

I need some help with what I need to do to get rid of this algae. Our pool has been cloudy for about a week and a half. We've been using bleach to keep the chlorine level in check. Then the it started dropping and we've been playing with bleach to keep it up.
I haven't been in the pool this year until the other day when I realized that we have black algae on the liner *above* the water line.

My husband used to pool brush on it then the liner print started to come off! It's not like he was cleaning it with bleach, he was using just the pool water. I can rub it off with my finger.

We couldn't figure out why it was above the water line. The pool guy came out, he'd never seen it before, he's going to talk to the liner guy. I had a light bulb moment earlier where I think I figured out why it's above the water line. We have an automatic pool cleaner that crawls up the sides of the pool and spins above the water line. I think it is spreading it.
I'm also attaching a picture with some clumps that show up after a day. Not sure if they are algae clumps. We live in an area with new construction and a swampy retention area behind us.

Lastly, I'm attaching a picture of the stairs because my husband swears he completely cleaned off the stairs within the past week.

I know I need to SLAM my pool. I'm not sure how to get rid of this black algae.
1) Do I get in the pool and scrub it off?
2) OR Do I scrub the edges from outside the pool?
3) Do I need to use a cleaning agent to scrub the algae?
4) Should I contact the liner guy about the fact that they pattern rubs off after regular brushing with the pool brush?

My latest numbers using the TF-100 test kit (*note I gave a SWG):
TC=1.5
pH=7.4
TA=160
CYA=70
Salt=3400

Thank you in advance for any help!

Well, I feel incredibly stupid thinking that was black algae on the liner. I've been all over the site looking around and I can't believe it missed that article! I have a whole binder filled with articles from this site, so I thought I had read everything. :oops: I rubbed some of the substance on the liner above the water line and it looks like dirt. :roll: Perhaps there is algae elsewhere based on my results (see below)

I thought it was algae because last year and this year we have added bleach consistently to keep the Cl up. The cell on the SWG looks fine. There's no deposits. The indicator lights on the SWG have been good. Is there additional things we can do to verify that the SWG is working properly?

Here's the testing #'s using the TF-100, Pentair 78HR for TA only (ran our of reagent for TF-100 kit)

6/10/16
TC=1.5
pH=7.2
TA=didn't test - out of reagent for both test kits
CYA=70
*added 10 gallons of bleach

6/11/16
TC=3.0
pH=7.2
TA=170
CYA= 70
*also took sample to water store, same results (not just a pool store) they said #'s were good :roll:

6/12/16
TC=1.5
pH=7.4
TA=150
CYA=70
*added 128oz 10% Cl

6/13/16
TC=2
pH=7.4
TA=170
CYA=90
*added 128oz 10% Cl @2pm
same day tested @3:24pm TC=4.5 (water still cloudy)

skipped a day testing
6/15/16
TC=1.5
pH=7.4
TA=160
CYA=70
*added 128oz 10% Cl at night

6/16/16
TC=3.5
pH=7.4
TA=180
CYA=70
*pool is clear

I guess I just SLAM now. And deal with the liner. I HATE my pool. It was dream to have one now I'd give anything to not have it.

You won't hate it for long. We can help you get it under control. Not only is TFPC cheap and works great but it is also easy!

Your chlorine is consistently below minimum for your CYA. So, yes you probably need to SLAM. But, there is no need to guess, perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and if you pass then no SLAM, don't pass then SLAM.

Chlorine level is set based on the CYA level and the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. FC must be maintained above minimum at all times to keep the pool sanitary and algae free. This and keeping your PH between 7.2 and 7.8 will get you 80% of the way there.

My pool has been unable to keep the Cl where it needs to be all last year and this year. We have to add bleach all the time. I SLAM'd the pool for 10 days last summer. I can show you my detailed log with results, observations, and action taken. Within 7 days my Cl was 3. I have a SWG which should be chlorinating my pool. Clearly, it's not.

We had to keep adding bleach throughout the rest of the summer because the Cl kept tanking. I did not do another SLAM because I was sick of the stupid pool and it's problems. My husband took care of the pool the rest of last summer (until early sept) after I told him I was done. I didn't do a thing to the pool this year after it was opened (end of May) until 6 days ago when I went swimming and thought there was algae. My nightmare begins again.

I hate my pool because we were sold on the ease of a SWG pool. It's all I think about day in and day out. Will the kids be able to swim? How much Cl am I going to have to buy? How much time will it take to test the chemicals almost daily? When do I have to post to this forum looking for help? How long will it take to vacuum? Is the automatic pool cleaner going to really clean on it's own or I am going to have to vacuum myself because it's looks bad when it's done? How could we buy the best on the market and it works poorly? How long is this SLAM going to take? How many more posts am I going to have to post with my test results? How much time is that going to take?

So, yes, I hate my pool and I will hate it. I have an entire binder full of articles, references, etc from this forum. I did the SLAM last year. Followed directions to a T. Still had problems the rest of the summer. Now I have to SLAM again and will likely still have problems the rest of the summer. No one that I have EVER talked to IRL has had to do nearly what I do. And they barely take care of their pools. I vacuum EVERY DAY. Other people vacuum maybe once a week. They test whenever they think about it. I have spent so many frustrating hours educating myself, trying to figure out problems, taking action. I am beyond done with this pool. But I am forced to SLAM because my family needs me to.

I hate my pool! :rant:

Your posted test results show that you are not maintaining a high enough FC level.

It has been proven in thousands of pool on this forum, let your FC drop too low & algae and bacteria will take hold.

Believe me, your pool is not possessed, even though it may seem that way.

Remember, the target FC per your CYA is a recommendation only. High bather loads, pets in the pool, etc could cause an increase in chlorine demand.

For instance, my pool is under two large trees that constantly drop organic debris into the pool. I have found it necessary to run my FC a couple of ppm above the recommended target otherwise I get an increased chlorine demand and the water begins to lose its sparkle, eventually clouding up.

Dom

I know I'm not maintaining a high enough FC level, hence my frustration with my SWG, which is supposed to produce Cl. I shouldn't have to keep adding bleach to raise my chlorine. That's what the SWG is for.
I'm sorry that you are so frustrated with your pool. It can be a thing of enjoyment, and there are a lot of folks here willing to help you get there.

My point is that you most likely have algae. You most likely have algae because you did not manually dose CL while you dialed in your SWG's output % & runtime. As you tweak in the SWG you should see a gradual reduction in the amount of CL you need to add, until you reach a point where manual dosing is no longer needed, if the pool is algae free.

How long do you run the SWG, and what is the % output?

Dom

We are glad to help you resolve these issues and they are all able to be solved. Your SWG can produce enough chlorine for your pool with the right settings. I have the same SWG and it maintained 28 FC for me for a week when I was SLAMing last year when I inadvertently let my FC drop below minimum and got some algae. It is keeping my FC at 12-15 right now running about 8 hours a day at 60%.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.