Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Vacuuming Issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Vacuuming Issue

OK Not sure where to start. This is my first post and I would truly call myself a novice when it comes to pool care. I have been reading the site for a couple of weeks and have learned a lot but haven't found exactly what I am experiencing. When I vaccum my pool when I get to the dirtier areas I notice that the dirt (at least some of it) comes out of the drains and return holes? back into the pool. Can someone help me with where I should start looking and what my issue might be? Thanks.
    My Pool - 21,000 Gallon Plaster In Ground Manatee Shaped Diving Pool - Sta-Rite Dura-Glas Pump 1 1/2 hp, 3450RPM, 48Y Frame, 230/115 Volts, 60hz., 9.6/19.2 amps - 24" Jacuzzi Bros Sand Filter 60 GPM (46 Backwash)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Vacuuming Issue

Welcome to TFP!

Getting a little very fine dust, essentially only cloudiness, through a sand filter happens now and then. But getting any actual individually visible particles should not happen.

It is possible that your filter is channelized. If the filter/sand is several years old I would try the suggestions in this post. If the filter is new, something more serious might be wrong.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Wow....unbelievable. I walked away to get a glass of tea and got an answer. You guys are great. It does look like fine dust. I have lived here for 4 years and have not done anything other than add chlorine to the pool. I guess I expected it to just take of it self. I haven't had any real issues in the 4 years except the fact that now that I actually have a test kit that you guys recommended I see that my chemicals are all out of whack but I will post my numbers in the correct forum so as to keep things neat and tidy here. Thanks for the link I will take a look now.
    My Pool - 21,000 Gallon Plaster In Ground Manatee Shaped Diving Pool - Sta-Rite Dura-Glas Pump 1 1/2 hp, 3450RPM, 48Y Frame, 230/115 Volts, 60hz., 9.6/19.2 amps - 24" Jacuzzi Bros Sand Filter 60 GPM (46 Backwash)

4. Back To Top    #4

OK I have a followup question. Since I have to cut/disconnect the pipes in order to open my filter to break up the sand clumps. What other issues (If any) should I be keeping an eye our for while I am in there breaking up the sand?

5. Back To Top    #5

Read the last post in this topic for advice on how to clean and resettle the sand. If there are any clumps that don't break up easily by hand you ought to replace the sand.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Jason! I will be doing this over the weekend give everyone an update to let you know how it goes! Should I consider buying and adding DE to the sand once/if it breaks up correctly?