Inexpensive CYA test kit

May 18, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Just discovered this board! I've got a 3 year old pool, and learned a ton from the old pool forum.

My question concerns testing for CYA. The 3 local pool stores near me give wildly different results, and only occasionally correspond to my calculated number. I want my own CYA test kit. The only ones I can find are part of a larger kit that usually costs $50 or $60. I already have a kit to test chlorine, Ph and alk, and that is all I really need. Is there anywhere I can buy just the vial with the black dot on the bottom, and then I can reorder the Taylor reagent or get that at the pool store. I just want the vial for the CYA test, or I've also seen the type where you can "raise" the black dot using a handle and stop when you see it. I would even be willing to buy a used vial.

Does anyone know where just the CYA test vials are sold?

I also think shipping is high. have you ever thought about using usps duraleigh? in the postage estimator, buying online postage for my kit woulda been $6 and some change as opposed to 10 something, with the same speed.

Personally I think it is pretty reasonable. Paid 6 bucks shipping for my r0871 refills and cya refills and had them in 2 days. Compare that to my recent motorcycle parts purchase. Bought some parts for my motorcycle that they shipped fedx, $7.95 and 7 days later it finally showed up. Bought some other bike parts that they shipped usps because of weight and had them in 3 days. Also paid $7.95.

We are looking at shipping software that will allow you, the end user, to choose how you ship. At this point, we are too small too afford what we have found but we are still looking and I think making progess.

A standalone shipping package will not do. It must integrate with our storefront software so you can see the options available. Last year it was a pipe dream. This year we think it's something we can eventually offer....not sure when it will be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just received my CYA test kit. Based on what I put in the pool earlier, I estimated 45 ppm. Test results were 42 ppm. Much better than the wildly variable pool store results I used to get!

I though the web site said something about a hint for how to use less reagent. Seems I am adding 14 ml of pool water and 14 ml of reagent. Is there a hint as to how to use less? If I make a mark on the fill bottle at the 7 ml point, could I add 7 ml of pool water, then fill to the bottom of the label with reagent -- so 7 ml of each? What is the best way to maeasure and mark the 7 ml point?

I though the web site said something about a hint for how to use less reagent.
Following the directions, you end up with enough mixture to fill the entire view tube.

If you know your CYA is going to be say 40+ or so, you could create enough 50-50 mixture of pool water and reagent to get to the forty line on the view tube. That'll save you almost half of the reagent you would normally use.

Another approach is to use the view tube from the WalMart six way HTH test kit, which I think is Taylor part #9197. That tube reads CYA levels from 30-100 and is much smaller than the one in the TF100, so you can use the smaller sample size and still get a reading all the way to 30.

KNIGHTCAP said:
Thanks for the quick replies. My question is, how do I make a smaller 50/50 sample? Do I try to make a mark on the mixing bottle at the 7 ml point?

i filled my to the 7ml mark with pool water, then filled to the 14 with distilled water. mixed. Once mixed removed to 7ml mark and then put in the cya test chemical.

Most drug stores sell syringes designed for measuring children's liquid medicines that measure from 1 to 10 ml. You should see how many ml the syringe says the 14 ml mark is, put half of that amount in the bottle and make a new mark at that level.

KNIGHTCAP said:
My bottle does not have a 7 ml mark. It has a label and its 14 ml to the bottom of the label, and 28 ml to the top. But there are no marks on the bottle, at 7 ml or 14 ml.

so fill to 14ml with pool water, then up to the 28ml with distilled. mix and dump out to the 14ml mark.

that would be a 50/50 mix

mdhwoods said:
KNIGHTCAP said:
My bottle does not have a 7 ml mark. It has a label and its 14 ml to the bottom of the label, and 28 ml to the top. But there are no marks on the bottle, at 7 ml or 14 ml.

so fill to 14ml with pool water, then up to the 28ml with distilled. mix and dump out to the 14ml mark.

that would be a 50/50 mix
That would not save any reagent, it would be a dilution that would require that your multiply your test results by 2 AND WOULD STILL REQUIRE 14 ML OF TEST REAGENT!

You need EQUAL parts undiluted pool water and reagent for a proper test. Your method gives a 1:1 dilution to the pool water and that diluted water must be mixed with an equal amount of reagent for a proper test and the results of that test multiplied by 2. This is useful only if you are trying to estimate CYA readings above 100 ppm but there is much inaccuracy when doing this for several reasons that I won't get into here!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.