Hi from Cincinnati, OH

Jun 15, 2016
cincinnati/OH
Hello everyone,

I found this site after some hunting around and this looks like a good reliable community looking to help rather than to sell me something.

I've had a pool for quite some time and this is the first year that I have had to really fight a green pool. Cover was damaged during the off season so all the leaves settled to the bottom. Here's what I've done so far:
- cleaned out as much as I can with a leaf rake - it's not quite as murky
- balance alkalinity and PH
- brushed the wall and shocked the pool with calcium hypochlorite (5lbs)
- added algaecide

3 weeks in and there hasn't been really much change and I'm now frustrated and at a loss as to what to do and find myself second guessing.

so here's the current stats:
FC - 5+
TC - 5+
pH - 6.9? 7
TA - 50
CH - 110
CYA - 50

pool stats:
IG
Sand filter
vinyl

Hope you can help! I've currently ordered the TF100 test kit, so hopefully that arrives on Friday so I can get exact numbers on FC/TC/CC

Thanks in advance!
Jay

Sorry about the sideways pics. A few other details:
- Sand has been replaced
- 5 lbs of dichlor was added on Monday. That day FC: 4 and TC: 5+ PH: 6.8 TA: 50
- about an hour before the pictures in OP I add 4 gallons of Liquid shock - 10% concentration

Now I get the torrential downpour to see how that affects the pool chemistry.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Jay

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 29
Welcome to TFP!

For full disclosure, the guy who pays the bills for the forum does sell the TF-100 test kits. But, with that being said, they are the best value for the reagents you are purchasing.

With your chlorine at 5+ what have you been using to add chlorine?

Hi!
On Monday I added 5lbs of dichlor before I finished reading through here and discovering what it does to CYA. This morning FC was about 4 and TC was 5+

About an hour before the water test this afternoon I added 4 gallons of liquid shock at a 10% concentration.

Re: Green and not very clean

Nice work so far!

PH is not valid when FC is above 10. First thing to do with the TF100 is test FC with the FAS/DPD chlorine test. Let FC drop to 9/10, test PH and adjust to 7.2. And then SLAM the pool, SLAM Process

OK, sad day for me. It looks like I didn't make the shipping cutoff on Wednesday evening and even with 2-day my TF100 kit will not arrive till Monday.

Pool still looks the same, but after letting the filter run 24/7 from the 4 gallons of liquid shock on Wednesday FC is back down to 3-4 and TC is still 5+

FC - 3
TC - 5+
pH - 6.8
TA - 70
CH - 110
CYA - 50

I'm now stuck in a holding pattern for another 3 days, while waiting on my test kit. Is there anything I can do through the weekend? Can I start the SLAM since I know FC is lower than 5? I just can't measure FC beyond 5.

I'm currently working on bring the PH up to 7.2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support