Phosphates and CYA Levels. Is there a link?

Tonka Tuff

Bronze Supporter
Jun 15, 2016
Lakeland, FL
Hi,

I'm a rather new pool owner. I had a question regarding the relation of phosphate removers and CYA levels. Specifically, is there a link between the two. Up until yesterday I did my testing at the pool store. I fell victim to the recommendation of using phosphate remover because my FC and TC levels were at 0. Once I did, the water turned murky which I discovered here is a common occurrence. I am in the process of running the pump to clear the water, cleaning the filter every time the PSI jumps 10.

Deciding that the stores won't fool me twice, I have been studying here and have bought a Taylor Test Kit from Leslie's and recently did a test. 2 days ago, prior to using the phosphate remover, my CYA (Stabilizer) levels were at 60 ppm. Doing it on my own today my CYA level was well over 100.

My results were:

TC: 2ppm
FC: 1ppm
PH: 7.4
Alk: 90ppm
CH: 480ppm

So, is there any reason why I would be getting a much higher CYA that what the store test reported 2 days later?

No link.
Likely it is just that pool store testing is really that bad. We see it every day.
But maybe the cloudiness from the phosphate remover is messing with the CYA test? (doubtful)

Which Taylor kit did you get? Does it have the FAS-DPD chlorine test?

Thanks for the info. It's a K-2005 DPD testing kit. It was my first run testing on my own and I haven't yet made my way through the pool school section of the forums yet.

The store had me drain the pool 6 inches and refill to lower the CH as well as add 45 lbs. of salt while turning my swg up to 100 output. I guess I just have to keep an eye on it over the next few days and report back after I've studied more and watched a few videos.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.