SLAMing questions

May 25, 2014
edison, nj
Hi Folks:

Opened my pool and noticed that there are some algae near the skimmer month (looks like black algae b/c it is a little thick and slimey). Also accidentally spilled some yucky stuff from the pool cover to the pool.

Decided to SLAM the pool. Two questions that I hope you can help:

1) To use the CYA chart (non-SWG pool). If I see 10 under "Chock FC", does that mean that I need to raise the FC to 10ppm?

CYA (Stabilizer) Minimum FC Target FC Shock FC
20* 2 3 10

2) After test the water, my CYA level is close to zero I believe (as the black dot in the testing kit never goes away).

To raise the CYA level, I added CYA to the pool in a sock, and it is taking a long time to dissolve and take effect.

Should I wait till the CYA level is above 20 before SLAMMING?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :confused::confused::confused:

KK

Hi - Welcome to TFP!

You don't need to wait to start your SLAM. Just use your targeted CYA level (after your CYA addition) to dose to shock level. So, if you added enough CYA to target 40, use 16 as your shock level. It's going to take a few days for the added CYA to show on the test. If you're confident in your targeted addition, don't even bother testing CYA for a while - it will save on the CYA reagent.

Bring it up to shock level and test to see if you attained the target. Test and add at least twice a day - more if you're able. The closer you keep it at target, the quicker the SLAM usually goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.