Owner Build W/ Rock Blasting - Loomis, CA - Equipment List HELP

Re: New Owner Build Pool with Rock Blasting - Loomis, CA

Some updated pictures. Dig is almost complete with a few areas to clean up after the form boards were set.

Any advice on the fastest way to heat water (using electricity) for the spa would be great! Heat Pump with inground Spa

Digging out after the blast:

Soil profile showing the rock

Progress...

We were out of town this weekend and got home late last night, happy to see some progress has been made. I am going to review everything with a closer eye tonight but did a quick walk around this morning. First item found was the scuppers are not centered correctly but that is an easy fix.

Please let me know if anything else catches your eye.

Unreal build! LOL on blowing through the contingency $$ on Day 2 :rolleyes: I will try to be kind to your wallet!

Have you pick tile, coping, decking, plaster yet?

You need to make sure to be there when they shoot guinte in case they have any questions or ideas. YOU want to have a say in what they do.

:kim:

Just up the road in Penryn. Great video, BTW. Do you have a ballpark on what you expect the costs for everything to be? Also, we use a solar cover for our pool...it REALLY warms the pool (some days it the pool will actually be too hot...like bathwater), it REALLY cuts down on evaporation (we used to loose 1/2"+ a DAY) and keeps the dirt and leaves out (and that makes a HUGE difference in keeping it clean). We NEVER heat the pool, just the spa. We'll keep watching as things progress.

Inspection is scheduled for tomorrow and if we pass the Gunite company might be able to move up our install date!

Awesome! I'm in East Roseville so it's exciting to see some action close by!

Thanks! We cannot wait to enjoy it next summer.

Gunite will be exciting. We loved peeking and watching them etc. (though we had a balcony to look down from). Once you do that, you realize you actually have a pool in the yard!

I plan to take the day off work (or at least plan to be home for some of it) to make sure it comes out the way we want it to.

Unreal build! LOL on blowing through the contingency $$ on Day 2 :rolleyes: I will try to be kind to your wallet!

Have you pick tile, coping, decking, plaster yet?

You need to make sure to be there when they shoot guinte in case they have any questions or ideas. YOU want to have a say in what they do.

Picking out finishes is the hard part!! The scuppers are going to be exposed concrete similar to the suppers Corleone used here: New Owner/Build - IG Pool sloped yard - Riverside County Southern CA - Page 2

We are thinking standard plaster in a grey (Tahoe Blue) color and might make the cabo shelf a tan (sand) color. My wife and I go back an forth on this and not sure if it fits with our design but liked the look when visiting Hawaii earlier this summer. This is an underwater picture from the Marriott pool in Maui.

The raised wall will be a granite ledger stone, the spa will have a negative infinity edge and we are thinking Galaxy Graphite 1x2 glass tile from NPT as an accent in and on the face of the spa (see picture below). Still deciding if the waterline tile in the pool is going to be glass or a natural stone looking tile. Final decision on the tile seems to be the hardest part.

Our coping & deck will be concrete with fake grass breaking it up, see drawing below.

Overall we are going for the look of this pool with different finishes, we are on 5 acres and like a Rustic yet Modern Farmhouse look. We are planning to have other landscape walls that are simply exposed concrete showing the form board joints.

Just up the road in Penryn. Great video, BTW. Do you have a ballpark on what you expect the costs for everything to be? Also, we use a solar cover for our pool...it REALLY warms the pool (some days it the pool will actually be too hot...like bathwater), it REALLY cuts down on evaporation (we used to loose 1/2"+ a DAY) and keeps the dirt and leaves out (and that makes a HUGE difference in keeping it clean). We NEVER heat the pool, just the spa. We'll keep watching as things progress.

Ball park cost is somewhat hard to answer because our initial budgeting from pool builders was ranging from 110k to 150k. I was hoping to be down closer to 85k when complete but have a feeling with the blasting it could be closer to 95k. The outstanding factor that will definitely add to the cost is a 50' water slide (see picture below) that will wrap around the large rock, the final cost of this could change the final number. We will most likely use a solar blanket for the reasons you described, though I don't like the look it is hard to be the benefits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

To give you an idea of the look we are going for, these are pictures of the style of landscaping that we like and the last is a structure we like for the outdoor kitchen area. The outdoor kitchen is going to be at the shallow end side of the pool.

All so well thought out! That slide is unreal! I want to come play weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

I like the different colors of plaster. I say go for it!

Gunite day is finally (almost) here, scheduled for tomorrow 8/25. We lost roughly 2 weeks on the schedule waiting for gunite and we are very excited to keep the build moving forward.

Any final advise or things we should check before gunite is installed?

In the meantime, here is a picture of some of the rock that was generated out of the blast.

Bonding wires in place and connected. Pool depth correct. Pool size correct. Conforms to plan. Rebar matches specs in engineering supplement (deep end, waterfalls).

Skimmer in place. All plumbing in place. Main drain in place and correct.

Beer for gunite crew,

Exciting times. And good checklist above but the crew on ours would only take coffee and cookies cause they had two more pools lined up for that day! That crew was an impressive bunch of people, and no mess when they were done, just six elephant pies of concrete sitting on a tarp out front. Can't wait to see your shell.

I just noticed your 50ft slide around the boulder! Awesome! That will be so cool!

Have you thought on potentially using the left over rubble from the blast for anything? While certainly it'd be a constant reminder, it'd be neat to do some sort of feature out of that angular rubble. Some sort of monument to the blast hehe. (in my mind, could go all Disney on it and have a pile of the rubble somewhere near/around the slide and have misters hidden inside it so you slide down through the 'blast')

I want to use the rock somehow in our landscape. Possibly in a rockery wall or stone stairs that lead up to the water slide. I like your idea of some type of monument to remember the blast by. haha

The crew is very much enjoying the water, Gatorade and beer cooler I set out for them, great advise on that one!!

These guys have been very thorough and I am happy so far, they measured everything multiple times and made adjustments here and there to ensure everything is how we want it. It was definitely a good idea to work from home today.

Here are a few in progress photos.

They started at 7:00 am and left at 6:30 pm and didn't have time to finish. I am surprised with how long it is taking (I thought it would be done in a day or less) but happy that they are taking their time and everything is looking good. Tomorrow they will be back at 7:00 am to finish the spa.

Here are a few pictures of what was accomplished today.

So we are getting cold feet with the pool tile we picked out above, we are worried that the Galaxy Graphite 1x2 glass tile from NPT has too much purple in it.

We are considering the poured pewter 1x2 glass tile instead (see below). I have tried searching but haven't been able to find very many real life examples.

It is so hard to picture the entire pool off the samples we have.

Thoughts on these tiles or do you have another suggestion? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

The tile will be at the waterline and up the front of the spa where it spills over into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.