Got fired yesterday ("your position has been eliminated")!

taekwondodo

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
Well, the ax finally fell, and it was off with my head... 21 years straight in Tech/Communications - six-figure income down the tubes doing a job I HATED. I got an OK severance and with the stock I have, I should be OK at least through the year...

But it got me thinking... the BEST job I ever had (and truly LOVED) was in college - taking care of pools! I had 100 pools a week I took care of. With some "re-education" I've gotten here, my pool looks sparkling GREAT! I'm thinking about putting an add in the local paper to see if others are willing to pay me ~$100/so a month (plus chemicals) for some "Trouble Free" Pool Services.

Not really looking to do a "business" of a 100+ pools, as 10-20 pools would be great while I look for other things to do to make money - I'm really am going to need something to keep me from occupied and driving myself crazy (I'm type "A") during this "set-back".

Sound like a plan? :D

- Jeff

I had a job once that allowed for me to make almost six figures, but not quite. Like you though, I couldn't stand it, or myself, as long as I continued to do it. I have found that I am much happier earning less and all the while, doing something that I enjoy. It's good for the soul. I adjusted to my lower salary, started doing something I liked, and ended up all the better for it. You can too. What a perfect opportunity!

spishex said:
I can tell you from experience that going from a desk job to working on pools is one of the most refreshing changes you can make. I say go for it.

100 pools a week sounds like you live(d) in California/Florida?

I went to college in Phoenix, I'm now in just south of SanFran.

Does $100/pool+chems sound fair (for a ~20Kgal pools?).

Go for it, Taekwondodo...you'll be a lot better than the typical pool maint. person out there (trust me). :wink: I'd say that might be a low figure in your area (compared to my area), but some research will help. Just tell them why you're so much better, and name your price! Best of luck to you...we look forward to seeing what happens...there SHOULD be much better pool maint techs out there! :goodjob:

Interesting...

Got a call this morning from someone who's now EVP of sales at a company I worked at 10+ years ago - we go wayyy back and know each other well. I love him (well, not in the physical sense ;) ) like a brother - and he just offered me a job.... Not sure my heart's in it anymore, but it's great to have people calling me already wanting me on their team. People who know me for me and what I can truly offer when allowed to... BUT!

I'm officially "taking the summer off"... and if at the end of the summer I've created a sustainable thing (purposely not using the word "job") that looks like it could grow into a winner, then that's the path I'll take.

Thanks for the support, going to have an add in the local paper within a week. Also will call a few friends with pools and see if they want to be in that group of "first customers" :D

Problem is, with 21 years of savage marketing experience and intense product management - can I do THIS without making it a job (and having 1000 pools in the surrounding area all using TFP tactics). My biggest challenge: Can I chill-axe?

- Jeff

Very sorry to hear about you job, but as they say, as one door closes, another opens. I hope your next door is far better than your last.

As far as doing pools for a living, I just fired my last service and they were charging $100/mo complete. That seems about the norm here in SWF. Another norm seems to be that they don't do a decent job at all for that price. Every week I see a new service company on our street. I thought about just doing it for my street (45 homes). At $100 including chems I didn't think it would be worth it. I guess that's why none of the other services work out. Plus, you can never take a week off unless you have someone to cover for you that you can trust. I don't know for sure but I would think that in some places you might need a certification to do this for hire.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.