New (to me) Spa - Looking for best advice as i get started..

Jun 6, 2016
Turlock, CA
Purchasing a place with an above ground 330gal Spa (and in-ground pool). Currently have pool service for the pool (may change after i get the hang of the spa!)

Anyway. Looking to decontaminate the spa, then set it up and maintain it with the Bromine method.

I've been reading a couple forums, and getting my ducks in a row to properly do this w/o a bunch of trips to the local store (and their high prices).

Based on the decontamination thread on another forum and the 3 step bromine plan, my plan is to:

1. Flush spa with SpaFlush for 24hrs, drain and wipe down inside.
2. refill spa, put in new filter, balance water to tA of 80ppm and pH to 7.2. and then put in bleach for 24hrs (50ppm), drain, and wipe inside then rinse.
3. refill spa
4. Balance water - CH < 125 - add calcium choride to bring it up. TA = 80 - baking soda to raise, aeration or sodium bisulfate (dry acid) to lower. pH 7.4-7.6 - aeration to raise, sodium bisulfate to lower. Then once balanced, 50ppm of Borates (Boratic acid).
5. start bromine bank by adding sodium bromide to get 30ppm
6. shock with oxidizer (bleach or non-chlorinated shock) to get bromine above 10ppm - don't use til below 10.
7. add float with bromine tabs to stabilize at 4-6ppm bromine.

Test bromine and ph before each use, check everything weekly. adjust as necessary to maintain above values.

Does this all sound correct? am I on the right track? I'll be starting this possibly today or tomorrow. I have a test kit on order, but may have to result in taking samples to local pool supply until it arrives. And i think i have everything noted above to adjust each value if needed. Want everything on hand, just in case - no trips to the store. lol.

Thanks!
Albert

Then give serious consideration to using bleach instead of bromine. Much cheaper and more enjoyable. Read up on using borates too, makes water "smoother". PoolMath is your spa friend too. Just change recommend settings at bottom to Traditional Spa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07a3979b9af58150785518bd8e09bd97.jpg

Here's what u want!

Update:

Last night I re-checked the pH and TA, and it was a tad high. so I got it lowered a bit, then dumped in aprox 25oz of 8.25 bleach. Ran each set of jets in 10 minute increments (and 5 with the air on, 5 w/o). for Aprox 45 minutes total. I then added about 25-28 oz of 3% hydrogen peroxide to neutralize the water. Checked the chlorine level and it was around 1, so I hooked up the hose and started draining. Was almost fully drained before I went to bed - just had the foot well with water in it. Today I plan on wiping the whole thing down with the highly chlorinated water, rinsing everything down and then put in new filter and start refilling.

The Ahh-some spa flush referenced by floridarandy is the best deep cleaning product on the market for spas, by far. The SpaFlush you used probably did a good job but next time you drain and refill, give the Ahh-some treatment a try. Did you get much for scum or foaming or evidence of contaminants when using the SpaFlush?

yeah. I will do that. I had already purchased the Spa flush based on the decontamination threads suggestion before I seen the other posts recommending Ahh-some. I'll give that a go around in a couple months when we drain/refill. I was definitely getting some gunk out with the SpaFlush. I used a net to skim it out by hand each time I shut off the jets, that way it wouldn't keep circulating. I did end up keeping it in there for 48 hours. With running the jets for several minute intervals when I first put it in, at about the 24-hour mark, and again at the 48-hour mark before I dropped in the bleach.

We have inground pool and separate portable spa. It took me a while to get used to chemical balance with 325 gallons instead of the 15,000 pool. Trust quantities in PoolMath. Start with TA before Ph. If you use borates (Borax), which I encourage, do it before Ph since it will cause Ph to rise. Only do the bleach after you get everything else balanced. Doesn't take long since you're dealing with small water quantity.

awesome. Definitely using Pool Math and the Android App Pool Spy (seems to give the same results as pool math), but i've been double checking them to make sure. Will be using Borates, already got my 5lb bag of Boratic Acid. We've got an inground pool too. I've been checking the values on it every few days since i got my Taylor kit, but we have a pool guy manage it right now for us. Once i get the spa figured out, i may decide to forego the pool guy a little bit after that. One step at a time. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
awesome. Definitely using Pool Math and the Android App Pool Spy (seems to give the same results as pool math), but i've been double checking them to make sure. Will be using Borates, already got my 5lb bag of Boratic Acid. We've got an inground pool too. I've been checking the values on it every few days since i got my Taylor kit, but we have a pool guy manage it right now for us. Once i get the spa figured out, i may decide to forego the pool guy a little bit after that. One step at a time. :)

Your pool guy will soon be history. Its incredibly easy to do TFP and your spa will lead you back to the pool. In many ways the pool is EASIER than the spa because the larger volume makes the chemical change slower. After 20+ years doing my own pool I've now got a renewed interest in keeping things "tighter" in terms of chemicals to reduce the cost and improve the quality.

Today I added boric acid after reading the "borate" threads for many years. I'm expecting even less "work" to keep the spa and pool in perfect condition. Testing and PoolMath is the key. A few minutes each morning is all it takes. Minimum additions and always beautiful water!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.