I am new to this group. My wife and I recently retired from careers in public education. She taught Kindergarten. I served as teacher, coach, bus driver, Principal and Superintendent. We have three grown children, two are married to wonderful girls and we have one granddaughter, age 2 and 1/2. This brings us to the pool. When I was younger, we had an 8' x 2' high galvanized stock tank and used it as our swimming pool as kids. I would like to do the same for the granddaughter, and us. I am purchasing an 8' galvanized stock tank for about $350. I am having trouble deciding what pool and filter to use. It is about 800 gallons. I have been advised by two different pool guys to consider the following:

1. Pentair SD40 1 hp filter combo. Sand filter. The sand filter is huge. Seems like overkill. He also advised I use chlorine.
2. Pentair Clean and Clear CC75 cartridge filter @ $375 with a Dynamo 1 hp pump or maybe a 1 1/2 hp Dynamo @ $375. He was suggesting Bacqua. At 800 gallons, it would not be real expensive.

It seems from talking to others, most all believe at least a 1 hp pump is best.

In discussion, other considerations came up. W

1. What size hose to use?
2. How to install the return hose and the supply hose. To keep it simple, I would like to just drop the hoses over the side of the 2' wall. I would use a J hook connection, like those on clothes washers into the wall, on both ends. On the supply hose I would attach a length of about six foot hose, with perforations in the side of the hose, so the water does not jet out in full force. I have considered attaching some kind of weight to the house to keep it below the water line. On the return hose I would attach a diffuser to decrease the suction at the end of the hose. I would do this to reduce the risk of sucking hair or suit into the hose. I would use a weight to keep it near the bottom.
3. I understand I need to place the return hose as close to water level and maybe install a check valve to keep the siphon in the hose and prevent the pump from sucking air on startup.
4. I am putting the pool on a concrete pad that is about 24' by 12'. It used to be a pole barn for a horse.
5. There is electricity running underground to the pad. I am going to have an electrician check it and install a ground fault interrupter and whatever else is necessary for safety.
6. In an effort to keep the water cool, I plan to use bamboo wrapped around the outside of the pool to keep the direct sun off of it.
7. I will have a tarp that I will put over it at night. I will have 1 gallon milk jugs full of water attached to the grommets with straps to hold it down.
8. I hope to be able to use that same tarp attached to poles over the pole for shade.
9. I will put a cinder block in the pool for a step and place to sit while in the pool.

Anyone that has ideas on how to improve on this I would appreciate hearing from you.

Jim Palmer

Jim, welcome to TFP :)

This one is easy, intex would be great for that size :)

You would need to put some holes in the side but sounds like no issues for you :)

I even comes with the hoses to connect, you would need the through wall fitting though

Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden
Amazon.com : New Model Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valve Assemblies : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Intex 1 ½ Pool Inlet Garden
Amazon.com : Large Intex Pool Strainer Assembly : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

That is a salt water generator that will create chlorine for you after you put salt in the water, it is only 3500 ppm so that steel water tank will still last 15 years :)

I hope this helps :)

Jim, welcome to TFP :)

This one is easy, intex would be great for that size :)

You would need to put some holes in the side but sounds like no issues for you :)

I even comes with the hoses to connect, you would need the through wall fitting though

Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Garden
Amazon.com : New Model Set of 2 Intex Large Pool Plunger Valve Assemblies : Swimming Pool Pump Accessories : Patio, Lawn Garden
Amazon.com : Intex 1 ½ Pool Inlet Garden
Amazon.com : Large Intex Pool Strainer Assembly : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

That is a salt water generator that will create chlorine for you after you put salt in the water, it is only 3500 ppm so that steel water tank will still last 15 years :)

I hope this helps :)