New to TFP, somewhat new to pool ownership, desperately need help

Jun 15, 2016
Atlanta GA
Hello, I am glad to have found this website. I have seen some really good information and assistance here and hope I can get some help with my dilemma. I purchased a home with a pool in Nov of 2013. Everything was working great and we opened the pool the summer of 2014. No problems with equipment at all and my family and I enjoyed swimming in it almost all of the summer. We did have problems with yellow algae late in the season and that was corrected because I have a son and son-in-law who are CPO for apartment complexes and they can give me some advice on maintenance and care of the pool. However, when it was time to close the pool for the winter season, I just threw a nylon cover over it that I found in the pool shed and it had holes in it and allowed leaves and debris to come into the pool.

I became ill that winter and did not have the strength or inclination to go out and remove cover to clean the debris and leaves from pool and the leaves set in the pool all winter and caused a disastrous tea effect and it emerged into a green swamp come pool opening time for the next year. My sons and I tried everything to clear it up but it did not work. We decided to drain it and refill it. Bad idea! When we drained the pool and was removing the last of water with a bucket, a second hole in the pool erupted like a volcano and water spilled into the pool from it. We determined it was ground water. I did not see what kind of cap was over that hole and have been trying to find a replace cap for it ever since then.

I placed a rock over the hole and we decided to try and refill the pool 3 weeks ago. I am eliminating some things to make a long story short. Once we refilled the pool the water immediately ran back out of the pool. Well, within one day. We filled it with the fire hydrant, which was not cheap. 38000 gallons was used and we could not locate where the water was coming from or went to. We have a stream that runs along the side of our home and think it must have gone in there. We did not see any coming from the equipment in the pool shed and notice no cracks in the concrete pool either. I am very frustrated because I do not know what that hole is because after talking to some people at our local pool stores they said the first one is our main drain and they do not know what the second one is that volcanoed the water in the pool.

I inspected that hole (the one to the right) and there are no pipes or valves in it but it does have beautiful gravel at the very bottom? After some research I am thinking is this a well point? It keeps the pool filled with water up to a certain point and I have trouble with frogs now that think they have found a new home. They start chirping or screaming at dusk and will not allow me and my family to enjoy our screened porch. I am sorry for such a long thread but I am desperate for some answers or help!

I am enclosing a pic of the two drains or one drain and hole to see if some of the experts here can help me or at least attempt to help. It will be very much appreciated. Why did all that water go out? Does that indicate a leak somewhere? I did not get a chance to turn the pumps on when I filled it so I assume it is not from the pipes or pump in pool shed.

P>S> I live in Atlanta Ga and it has been hard to get some experts to come in to even check it out. Everyone is so busy at this time of year.

Attachments

• Pool Pic1.jpg
    Pool Pic1.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Poolpic2.jpg
    Poolpic2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 54
Do you have any wider shots of the pool? Can you take some shots of your equipment and the piping running to it?

When you tried to refill the pool you didn't cap the "new" opening first?

Where did the cap that came off during the drain go?

Hello, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I just figured out where my post went to. :) Thank you for your quick response.

I do not know what happened to the cover over this hole. When we were draining the pool and it erupted with all that water it must have blown it off. We searched and searched for it to no avail. I know it doesn't make sense that its nowhere to be found. It remains a mystery.

I tried to cover the hole with a large rock before refilling but the pressure from the fire hose moved it away.

I have enclosed the pics you requested and thank you so much for your help!

Hello, I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I just figured out where my post went to. :smile: Thank you for your quick response.

I do not know what happened to the cover over this hole. When we were draining the pool and it erupted with all that water it must have blown it off. We searched and searched for it to no avail. I know it doesn't make sense that its nowhere to be found. It remains a mystery.

I tried to cover the hole with a large rock before refilling but the pressure from the fire hose moved it away.

I have enclosed the pics you requested and thank you so much for your help!

Ok, but that's my problem, no one seems to know what the proper covering would be. I have researched on line for one and also took pictures to the local pool stores here and they all say that it should be the same one that's on the main drain. I have the anti-vortex cover over it now but the ground water is still coming into the pool. Should that be happening?

Here's my take. a) you should be glad ground water popped that cover off and is leaking into the pool. Sounded like your pool wanted to float to me and that's the only thing that saved you. You should never try to drain anywhere near where the ground water is coming up to after you get that fixed.

At this point I would go to a window shop and find someone to make me a custom lexan cover with the screw holes, and screw it back in with sealant.

I'm not a hardware guy, just throwing out ideas; someone feel free to correct me if that's a terrible idea. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.