Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on Timeline - Water or Deck first

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on Timeline - Water or Deck first

We are renovating our pool and have a bit of a debate going on between the pool guy and the concrete guy. The pool has polymer sides and a vinyl liner. The pool guy wants the concrete deck poured so that concrete doesn't end up in the pool. He doesn't think the concrete guys are not neat enough. Concrete guy says liner and water goes in first because the added weight of the concrete may buckle the polymer sides.

I tend to agree with the concrete guy. We had a pool installed when I was a kid and the concrete deck was last.

Your thoughts?
    26' x 14' 18,400 gallon freshwater IG plaster w/spa; American Sandpiper high flow sand filter; Raypak RP2100 digital pump; rooftop solar heater.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I would tend to agree with the concrete guy as well, just makes more sense.

Rik

3. Back To Top    #3
    Deck last. Concrete is going in the pool no matter how you do it. With the water in there, it won't stick to anything below the water level.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Mine was done deck last. And it's been poured two whole times (long story). Both concrete guys made a mess and it was a pain to clean out. But, as said before, anything under the water line should come out easily. Make sure if you have aluminum coping (or the like) that you/they coat it with Dawn soap before the pour. That makes it alot easier to get the concrete off later. They forgot to do it on my plastic steps and it's nearly impossible to get off now! I can speak from experience, that the cheap no name concrete guys and the high end reputable concrete guys make a very similar mess!
    Author of The Pool Tool for Windows Phone 7.
    8,600gal PebbleTec, Pentair 2hp, Cartridge Filter, Solar Heat. Hopefully SWG Soon!
    Old -- 22,600gal Vinyl Inground, Hayward 1.5hp, 350# Sand Filter w/ZeoBrite, Color Logic, Aqua Rite SWG. Computer geek.

5. Back To Top    #5

Our pool was filled first and we were swimming in it before the concrete was poured.
    Inground Grecian 20,000 gallons vinyl liner
    Hayward 250 BTU Propane heater
    Hayward DE Filter
    1 HP Northstar Pump
    Spill Over Spa

6. Back To Top    #6
    Thanks for the replies. I'll try the dawn soap too. The pool guy calls the concrete guys slobs. LOL
    26' x 14' 18,400 gallon freshwater IG plaster w/spa; American Sandpiper high flow sand filter; Raypak RP2100 digital pump; rooftop solar heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

Your pool guy probably isn't far off. Of course alot of pool guys aren't too far off of that either! :P
    Author of The Pool Tool for Windows Phone 7.
    8,600gal PebbleTec, Pentair 2hp, Cartridge Filter, Solar Heat. Hopefully SWG Soon!
    Old -- 22,600gal Vinyl Inground, Hayward 1.5hp, 350# Sand Filter w/ZeoBrite, Color Logic, Aqua Rite SWG. Computer geek.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays
    Our pool was filled first and we were swimming in it before the concrete was poured.
    Same here
    18 X 40 IG Vinyl
    Pentair DE filter
    400K BTU Pentair Mini-Max Heater

9. Back To Top    #9
    Can you lay plastic in the pool to catch some of the stuff that the concrete guys get into the pool?
    ~Megan

10. Back To Top    #10

Mine was done pool, liner & water 1st. The concrete guys will make a mess. As good as they maybe, they are only human and will spill. As mentioned above, anything spilled in the pool can be cleaned quite easily.
    -400 sq ft ingroung Fiji (straight back kidney) ~ 13,500 gallons - Vinyl Liner - 3 to 6 Feet
    -Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump
    -Hayward Perflex DE Filter EC65A
    -Hayward H 250 Heater